What It’s Like to Dance for Those Who Can’t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

This past weekend, I spent Friday night (all night) dancing on my feet at the annual Indiana University Dance Marathon. To say that this was a moving experience is an understatement.

From the moment I got on campus, I understood what this event stood for and how much of a difference it can make. However, for over a year, this event was a looming requirement. It was something I would do as a Sophomore in Greek Life because I was forced to as a form of ritual. Yet, when I first got involved with this event, I was not excited to spend 12 hours on my feet through the night with no breaks and no sleep. 

How naïve of me to think that my time was more valuable than the kids’ who are struggling at Riley Children’s Hospital on a daily basis. Standing on my feet for 12 hours is the least I could do to honor these brave kids. Throughout IUDM, we listened to music, ate lots of food, played games and most importantly- listened to the testimonies of those affected by the positive effects of Riley.  To put it simply- thank you, Riley Children’s Hospital for giving us a reason to dance and thank you to those who shared their story because just when standing was getting hard, your inspiration and strength pushed us along. Going into the event, I feared the unknown. What you hear is nowhere near what you get. You only get as much as you put in and I’m proud to say that my small efforts made a difference for the kids as this year’s event raised $4,203,326.23. And to those who donated, the dancers appreciate it and the kids appreciate it. 

Title Image Source