Spending Your Summer in Boston?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

“If you’re from Boston,” people always ask when they find out my hometown, “Why don’t you have an accent and why did you leave to go to IU?”

Ahh my friends, that is a tough question. I don’t have an accent because I enjoy pronouncing my “r’s” correctly, and I left because I wanted to try out the Midwest. But oh how I miss the state of Dunkin Donuts, Red Sox, baked beans, Boston terriers, and clam chowder! And the no tax on clothing purchases is awesome too!
There is so much fun to be had in Beantown, whether you’re a college student, a local, or a tourist. So here’s a list to keep you entertained and make sure your summer is “wicked awesome.”

1. The North End

Boston’s “Little Italy” can’t be beat for its romantic ambiance, cobblestone streets, delicious restaurants and cafes, and historical sites. The thriving Italian scene offers a nice escape from the rest of the city. Take your honey to Mike’s pastry Shop for mouthwatering cannoli, and take yourself to see the Old North Church and Paul Revere’s House.

1. Beaches in South Boston

What you say??? “Beaches in BOSTON? I thought you had to escape and drive hours to Cape Cod or Gloucestor?” Nope, Boston’s best kept secret is the free beaches in South Boston that are a short T ride away. Get off at Broadway T stop on the Red Line. Pleasure Bay, the M Street Beach and Carson Beach form a three mile segment of parkland and beach along the South Boston shoreline of Dorchester Bay. I’ve been going there for a few summers with my girls. The perks are no annoying family car trips, dealing with parking, and the umm “scenery” (ok fine, boys) is good.

1. Chinatown

It’s the real deal here, and the only historically Chinese area in New England. Enter the beautiful Chinatown gate with lion statues on each side (at the intersection of Beach Street and Surface Road) and you’ll find tons of Chinese and Vietnamese restaurants, grocery stores, outdoor markets, bakeries, and gift shops.

Try Dim Sum, a traditional Chinese afternoon meal where you point at small appetizers in baskets and plates that go by on carts. My favorite places are China Pearl and Hei La Moon, where I go with my family to order a million dishes and try a bite of everything. They get REALLY crowded at lunch time, but they’re totally worth it, so be patient and wait for a table. And afterwards try a Chinese dessert at one of the bakeries!

1. Newbury Street

It’s a fashionista’s paradise: 8 blocks filled with the most chic boutiques, designer stores, outdoor cafes, and art galleries. With Chanel, Burberry, Ralph Lauren, Juicy Couture, Betsey Johnson, and Marc Jacobs, it is a heavenly experience just to walk down the street. But don’t worry, there are plenty of regular affordable stores too like American Eagle, H&M, Victoria’s Secret, and Urban Outfitters, and Steve Madden. Take a stroll, have lunch outside at a sidewalk café, and watch the beautiful people occupy Boston’s answer to 5th Ave.

1. The Swan Boats

Yes, I know they’re a bit cliché and touristy. But they’re soooo fun and remind me of my childhood! And if you ever read hugely popular kids book “Make Way For Ducklings”, the illustrations take place here. With a relaxing ride on a swan’s back and gorgeous view of the Boston Public Gardens, it’s the best $2.75 you’ve ever spent.

1. The Museum of Fine Arts Boston

I study Art History, so I might be a bit biased but having a quiet moment reflecting in front of the artwork at the MFA is one of my favorite things to do. They have an amazing collection, with both old masterpieces and new modern works. The Egyptian section is particularly exciting, walk into there and you might think you’re in Cairo. Last summer I saw two amazing fashion exhibits, one on the designer Arnold Scaasi, and the other on famed photographer Richard Avedon.  Oh and Wednesday nights after 4 pm admission is free!

This summer, mix outdoors with arts and culture, fun and cheap, and exploring new neighborhoods. Your vacation will be more epic than the Big Dig!

Molly Johnson is a junior studying journalism and political science at Indiana University. She is originally from a small town in Northwest Indiana, though traveling is one of her passions. She has studied abroad in Dublin, Ireland and Seoul, South Korea- both of which were life-changing experiences. Molly loves to read and write, and has been a reporter and desk editor at the Indiana Daily Student, IU's award-winning student newspaper, for three years. Currently she is interning at Bloom, a city magazine in Bloomington, IN. Molly plans to go on to graduate school and then pursue a career as a writer. She hopes, one day, to write a book.