Socks and Locks: The Secret to the High Bun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

How do you let the world know that you’re elegant and fun without saying a word?  Rock a sock bun, of course!  In Bloomington, life is always a runway. Whether you’rerunning late to class or getting ready for a night out on Kirkwood, the classic “sock bun” is an easy way to showcase a glamorous and polished up-do.  All you need is a sock, some scissors, and two pony tail holders.

Whatever your thoughts may be on the Kardashian Kraze, those sisters sure know how to pull off the glamour look.  What better way to rock a pony than to twist it up à la Kardashian?

The process is simple and takes less than five minutes.  Start with a sleek high pony. Select a sock that matches your hair color- dark for brunettes and white for blondes. 

Cut the toe end off of your sock.  Next, roll it up outward into a donut. Place the donut around your pony tail at the root of your head.  Spread your hair evenly around the donut to make a bun, securing it with a new pony tail holder. If you have longer hair, you can use the remainder to twist around the bun. 
Secure it with a bobby pin or braid the hair around the bun.  You can even let the extra hair hang.  Get creative!

So, there you have it ladies.  There’s no big secret to this huge celebrity trend.  Just run to your sock drawer and give yourself a few minutes to spare.  And just like that, you’ve created a chic look that other fashionistas are sure to be envious of.  

Courtney Kabbes is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in apparel merchandising. When she's not busy updating Her Campus IU and promoting their site, she works as the Vice President of Social Media for the Retail Studies Organization and Ed2010 at Indiana. Some of her favorite things include shopping, mint chocolate chip ice cream, New York City, Bikram yoga, and spending time with her two favorite people: her mother and sister. Did we forget to mention her slight obsession with Pinterest? www.pinterest.com/ckabbes