The Official Hangover Cheat Sheet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Between two dollar Tuesdays, wasted Wednesdays, thirsty Thursdays, and then the rest of the weekend, how are we expected to get through the days? I know no one is thinking about how crappy they’re going to feel the next morning as they down shots of Karkov continuously throughout the night,
 and that’s a good thing. We all go to IU for the same reason: to go out, go hard, and have fun. Here at IU it is not only possible to go out every night of the week, but it is also expected of us. But going out every night should not be a substitution for getting up and being a productive member of society everyday. So, instead of using your hangover as an excuse to stay in bed all day, or even worse, using your busy schedule for the next day as an excuse to not go out, here are some easy ways for you to cheat a hangover.

1. Water, water, water! No matter where you end up at the end of the night, it is absolutely essential to drink water before going to sleep. Even if you find yourself in a random cold dorm with some guy you just met, chances are he’ll be able to find you a glass of water.

2. Gatorade + Advil = a hangover’s best friend. First thing to do when you wake up, before you even get a chance to feel the headache that’s about to emerge into your vodka-filled brain, take two Advil and chug a bottle of Gatorade. Before hitting snooze on your alarm clock five times without actually waking up, do this and then snooze for however long you want. When its time for you to actually wake up, your body will have no idea you drowned yourself into a handle of Karkov the night before.

3. Avoid sugary chasers. Nothing brings on a hangover like sugary chasers. Now I’m not saying you should go to a frat and ask what’s on their low-cal menu, but there is a way to get around it. Bring your own chaser! Grab a vitamin water zero on your way out of the house, and by the time you finish it you’re probably drunk enough to take shots without a chaser, anyway.

4. Work out! I know the last thing any of us want to do when our bodies are dead from the night before is go to the gym. I’m not saying you have to go run 5 miles on the treadmill, but do something to work up a sweat. Even if all you’re up for is a couple of frat laps, it’ll give you the energy you need to beat a hangover. Plus, that way you get to flaunt your new Lulu Lemons while walking past all the hot and shirtless frat guys shooting hoops outside.

Rachel Kaplan is currently a Junior at Indiana University. She is an active writer and Campus Correspondent for the IU Chapter of Her Campus. Rachel is majoring in Journalism with a double minor in Art History and Studio Art. While originally from Philadelphia, she hopes to move to New York City after graduation and pursue a career in Public Relations. Often found in Starbucks, Rachel loves to sip on her iced coffee while she writes, edits, and brainstorms articles for HCIU. Rachel is a proud sister of Alpha Epsilon Phi and is looking forward to living in the Phi house next year. She loves tennis, writing, OPI nail polish, the Hoosiers, gummy bears, and spending time with her family and friends.Follow Rachel on twitter: @_rachelkaplan & @HerCampusIU