The Mak Attack: Girls Guide to B-town Dining- Pizzeria Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

When I first moved into Forest dormitory almost a full five years ago, I was wearing size zero cut-off shorts from Abercrombie and Fitch. Last summer I bought a pair of similar looking Levi’s from Urban Outfitters but there was a one in front of that zero. 

Yes, in the time I have been here I have done some eating.   My culinary experience in Bloomington has been quite an adventure, and I could not be happier to share the highlights of my time eating here with you.

Let’s start off with the college staple of restaurants: the pizzeria.    

Everyone’s heard the joke about pizza and sex: that even when they are bad, they’re still kind of good. Now is not the time to get into the latter, but in terms of the former I can agree.  I delivered Domino’s my Junior year, people. I know a little bit about subpar pizza. And I also know that even though sometimes we all just inexplicably crave Pizza Hut, this town has some seriously dank options when it comes to a slice of pie.

Any person of legal bar-going age in this town will tell you that there is nothing more delightful than a hot slice or three or five when you’re wasted at 3 am.   Rockit’s Famous Pizza is great when it’s hot and fresh, but let’s be honest… it’s not always hot and fresh.  I prefer Greek’s Pizza because of the original quality of the sauce, and also because once upon a time a friend used to sling slices there and gave me the hook-up.  Oh, those were the days. And also, I am not going to lie, I like the painting of Jeff Spicolli on the wall a lot.

When on Kirkwood late at night, the variety of slice options offered by Uncle D’s is pretty awesome, and getting free garlic knots for having their number saved in your cell is clutch to say the least.   I have to say though, I am not that into Butch’s Grillacatessen & Eatzeria when it comes to pizza by the slice.   Their signature Chicken Godfather pizza is really good, but the hours are weird and their location is just kind of awkward when you consider all of the other late night options- pizza and otherwise. 

For delivery options, a Pizza X Big Bargain always hits the spot when you don’t want to leave the couch or your dorm, even though it will always be the Big 10 to me.  I prefer Pizza X for traditional pizza, like pepperoni or sausage, but when you want to get a little more adventurous you have to go with Aver’s.   Their award winning specialty pizzas like the Parthenon or the Cream and Crimson are on par with the frou-frou gourmet pizzas at FARMBloomington, but they are delivered to your door- minus the uppity price and attitude. Next time you get a Crazy Aver’s deal, consider getting the Loganberry soda instead of their standard Coke products.   There is no additional charge, and you won’t regret it.

If you want to go out and have a real pizzeria experience like they do in the movies, Bloomington actually has two equally fabulous options. If you are more of a deep-dish lover, you have to hit Mother Bear’s Pizza.   USA Today did vote it the Best Pizza in Indiana, after all.   Alex Benson, a delivery driver for Ma Bear’s and current B-town resident, recommended that I try the Big Cheese and add bacon to it. Good call, Benson. The blend of six cheeses is amazing all alone; but as a carnivore at heart, bacon is the perfect addition. And you can’t eat Mother Bear’s pizza without some of their perfectly watered down ranch dressing to dip your slice in, along with a big glass of strawberry lemonade. Get it in a to-go cup, take it home, and spike it!  Forget a Dirty Bird!  That is my favorite specific-to-B-town cocktail.

Low on cash?  Go in on a weekday between 4 and 6 pm and get the Early Bird Special – free drinks and sticks with the purchase of a medium or large pie.  And there is always the Snack Pack Attack and Munchie Madness.   At $8.95 and $9.95 respectively, it’s a personal pan or a medium pizza, sticks, a 2-liter, and brownies and it’s awesome.

I do love Mother Bear’s a lot, but I feel it’s totally unfair to mention Italian in this town without giving a shout out to the classic Café Pizzaria. My best friend’s grandparents met there. If it weren’t for Café Pizzaria, she might not have existed, and that would suck. The place has been at the corner of Kirkwood and Grant since 1953, and luckily their prices still reflect their historical roots. I recommend the mozzarella salad with their special house dressing, and at only $3.25 you can’t afford to miss out on it. It does lack the fun addition of Goldfish crackers like the salads at Mother Bear’s, but I recommend you sneak in your own. Who is gonna stop you?

A large supreme pie from Café Pizzaria is only $16.70 which is comparable to the large supreme up the block at Nick’s English Hut, but so much better. I love Nick’s, but their pizza tastes like it was frozen. Café Pizzaria has the advantage on the pies by far. When you’re playing Sink the Biz at Nick’s, you gotta go for the Italian Beef over the pizzas.  Both the Italian beef sandwiches at Café Pizzaria and Nick’s are made from local Fischer Farms grassfed beef, but Nick’s version kicks ass. Just remember to ask for the au jus sauce on the side.

So maybe it’s date night and you want to step your game up. You can feel fancy and still smash a pizza. Ain’t no shame in your game.  I recommend the wood fired pizzettas at Finch’s Brasserie. All under $11, they are a much better value than at FARM and the options are simpler, yet just as delicious. You can actually afford appetizers at Finch’s, too. I recommend the mussels and calamari. I like seafood and it’s good there year round. If you’re on a date, I recommend ordering an entrée and a pizza, and splitting the two. The rabbit cacciatore is by far one of my favorite dishes in town; I even had it after my undergraduate commencement. After one bite of that, you will forget you’ve ever heard of FARM.

Molly Johnson is a junior studying journalism and political science at Indiana University. She is originally from a small town in Northwest Indiana, though traveling is one of her passions. She has studied abroad in Dublin, Ireland and Seoul, South Korea- both of which were life-changing experiences. Molly loves to read and write, and has been a reporter and desk editor at the Indiana Daily Student, IU's award-winning student newspaper, for three years. Currently she is interning at Bloom, a city magazine in Bloomington, IN. Molly plans to go on to graduate school and then pursue a career as a writer. She hopes, one day, to write a book.