How’s the Weather There?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

One of the most common and prevalent subjects of conversation today is the weather. What is it like outside? What should I wear today? In Bloomington, Indiana, the answer to these questions lately is simple: We have no clue. One day it is pouring rain and the next it is 85 degrees and sunny. So how do we prepare for this erratic weather we’ve been having?

Mark Twain once said, “Everyone talks about the weather, but no one does anything about it.” Well, I am here to help you do something. These easy little tricks will help you prepare for the worst and the best of B-town’s weather.

1.                    Dress in layers. It sounds so simple – and maybe something your Grandmother would say – but this tip could help prevent a fashion faux pas when the weather hits 20 degrees and you are in a tank. The mornings at IU are usually chillier, so make sure to grab a zip-up sweatshirt or cute cardigan before you leave.

2.                    A little umbrella goes a long way. In the bookstore and many shops on Kirk they sell these cute, cheap little umbrellas. Get one! This little accessory will gradually become your best friend at IU. Affordable and easy to slip into your bag, what better way to keep your hair and clothes dry when it starts pouring rain in between your classes?

3.                    Don’t look Ugg-ly. There should be a law against wearing knee-high Uggs in the fall. Look, I know they are comfortable; I have many pairs and love to wear them. However, there is a time and a place. Instead of jumping straight for the tall style of Uggs, start with moccasins. They are just as comfortable and so much more seasonal friendly.

4.                   Toss the flip-flips. When you look outside and see the bright and sunny weather, it makes you reconsider this statement. However, even though B-town can’t acknowledge this concept, it is no longer summer. When you make your way home at the end of the day and notice that it is no longer bright and sunny, you may regret wearing your hot pink rubber flip-flops. While it can be hard to jump from flip-flops to boots, Sperry’s, Tom’s, and Moccasins all act as great transitional shoes. So please, save the flip-flops for the shower.

5.                   Scarves. Don’t be afraid to wear a cute scarf with your outfit. Even on days where it gets warmer out, you can always take it off and toss it on your bag (or you can be daring and tie it on the strap of your tote for a stylish extra accessory).

There you have it, a few extra measures you can take to beat the erratic weather of B-Town. Make sure to enjoy the last of the randomly beautiful days Hoosiers; it is only a matter of time before we will be sledding to class.

Rachel Kaplan is currently a Junior at Indiana University. She is an active writer and Campus Correspondent for the IU Chapter of Her Campus. Rachel is majoring in Journalism with a double minor in Art History and Studio Art. While originally from Philadelphia, she hopes to move to New York City after graduation and pursue a career in Public Relations. Often found in Starbucks, Rachel loves to sip on her iced coffee while she writes, edits, and brainstorms articles for HCIU. Rachel is a proud sister of Alpha Epsilon Phi and is looking forward to living in the Phi house next year. She loves tennis, writing, OPI nail polish, the Hoosiers, gummy bears, and spending time with her family and friends.Follow Rachel on twitter: @_rachelkaplan & @HerCampusIU
Courtney Kabbes is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in apparel merchandising. When she's not busy updating Her Campus IU and promoting their site, she works as the Vice President of Social Media for the Retail Studies Organization and Ed2010 at Indiana. Some of her favorite things include shopping, mint chocolate chip ice cream, New York City, Bikram yoga, and spending time with her two favorite people: her mother and sister. Did we forget to mention her slight obsession with Pinterest? www.pinterest.com/ckabbes