Five Tips to Survive Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Every year, thousands of college students find themselves lucky enough to have a Spring Break destination in a warm and sandy location.  A week long of laying on the beach, hanging out with friends, and doing absolutely no homework may sound like a piece of cake, and it is!  Follow these tips from Her Campus to keep you and your friends safe, happy, and tan during this crazy week of partying.

1. Have A Buddy System 

As middle-school as this sounds, having a buddy system is a great way to stay safe during Spring Break.  With thousands of intoxicated young adults running around, it’s easy to get lost in the crowd.   Always stay with at least one friend wherever you go.  Also, agree on a meeting place and time so that your group can find each other at the end of a day on the beach.

2. Take Turns Driving

If you and your posse and road-tripping to Florida, make sure you trade off every 3-4 hours.  It’s easy to get heavy eyelids after hours on the highway, so make sure there’s at least one other person in the car awake at all times.  Although you may be itching to get to your destination, travel centers are abundant along the highway.  They also provide a great opportunity to stretch your legs and grab a coffee; so don’t hesitate to pull over.

3. Confirm Your Reservation

Imagine finally reaching your destination after 15 hours of driving to find out that you don’t have a hotel room!  Make sure you call or e-mail your hotel ahead of time and confirm that you have the correct reservation.  Also, ask about the hotel’s check-in age.  Many places require that one guest is 21 or older to check in.

4. Bring Food From Home

If you’re tight on money, make sure you stock up on food to take with you.  That way, you’ll have more money to spend on drinks and souvenirs!  The large supermarkets (like Wal-mart) are usually crowded and busy when spring-breakers are first arriving at their destination.  The less time you spend at the store, the more time you’ll have to relax in the sand.

5. Pack Light

While you may want to pack every pair of cut-offs and flip-flops that you own, this usually isn’t the best route.  The majority of your time will be spent on the beach in your bikini.  Pack a few cute tops and a dress or two for going out at night, but don’t overload your suitcase.

Extra Tips!

Get a fanny pack – This is an awesome and convenient way to carry your phone and wallet while on the beach or boardwalk.

Buy plastic bags – Before you leave your hotel, put your phone in a plastic baggy to prevent it from getting sandy.