A Few Things I Wish I Knew Before I Studied Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

When I was a freshman, I envisioned that one day I’d study abroad. I didn’t know where I’d go, I didn’t know who I’d go with, and I certainly didn’t know how I’d lug all my stuff to a foreign country. Fast-forward to January 2016 and I had it all figured out as I was boarding a plane to Florence, with my best friends, and three overweight bags.

I brought everything I was told I needed: adapters for every country, a dozen converters, enough Keratin shampoo to last a lifetime, a miniature-sized carry-on bag, and so much medicine that I was basically a walking pharmacy. But it didn’t matter how many savvy abroad veterans I spoke with, there is no guidebook in the world that can truly prepare you for what’s in store. The material things prove trivial to the overwhelming unfamiliarity of being in a foreign country halfway across the world.  

Now don’t get me wrong, studying abroad was by far the most incredible four months of my entire life, and I wouldn’t trade it in for anything. But Instagram and Snapchat paint a fairy tale picture of what a study abroad experience is like, and these glimpses leave out some pretty important details. Studying abroad isn’t always as glamorous, pleasant, or magical as it appears online. So I’ve compiled a list of a few key things I wish I knew before I travelled all the way across the pond, because things can and inevitably do go wrong.

Pack Lightly. Packing for four months is an intimidating process to say the least. It’s simply impossible to pack everything in your closet so it’s essential that every article of clothing serve more than one purpose. Go easy with the clunky stuff, you don’t want bulky boots and sweaters hogging up room in your suitcases. And basics will be your best friends. I basically lived in black, grey, and white my whole time abroad because they go with everything. Pack versatile clothing that you can rewear many times.

There’s No Fighting Illness. My roommates and I were sick approximately eighty percent of the time we were abroad. And maybe that was because we were living on top of each other and rarely cleaned our apartment, or maybe it was because we were constantly traveling and on the go. The late nights out, the early morning trains, the cramped Ryanair flights, all start to take a toll on you at some point. But there’s no slowing down when you’re abroad: you have to be like Dory, pop some Advil, chug some Pepto, and just keep going (swimming) or risk missing out on some unforgettable experiences. 

You’ll Break the Bank. I can’t really describe how much you’ll actually spend abroad. All I can say is that you are going to be spending more money than you ever have before. Even though airfare is way less expensive, between taxis and trains and hostels and hotels, it all adds up. Plus you’re going to be traveling to the biggest fashion capitals in the world; it’s impossible to resist the urge. I don’t really have a tip here because there’s no way of avoiding this reality. Sorry not sorry?

Getting Lost On the Reg. The amount of times I got lost while abroad is a little disconcerting. To this day I still have nightmares about being lost in a foreign country, alone, with no phone, and no way of communicating with anyone. I got a SIM Card at an Italian phone provider that only worked in Italy. A domestic SIM Card will not work outside of the country unless you’re connected to Wi-Fi, which is seldom found in most places. I strongly urge you to purchase the T-Mobile International SIM Card before you leave for abroad. I didn’t listen to the advice I was given about this, so DON’T repeat my mistake! Seriously, trying to navigate a foreign country with a clear language barrier is not fun.

Culture Shock is Real. This phenomenon presents itself in various stages. At first, you’ll arrive fresh off the plane, fascinated with all aspects of your abroad city. You’ll explore, try local foods, see national monuments; it’s new, it’s exciting, it’s the honeymoon stage of studying abroad. Next comes the frustration stage where every little thing, like not understanding the language or being relentlessly catcalled, becomes increasingly irritating. The cultural differences of your new home seem wildly apparent, and it appears as if you’re never going to feel at ease. But over time, you’ll come out of this funk to embrace your new home for its vast differences. You’ll begin to accept the reality that you’re not a native and can never fully blend into your abroad country’s culture and that these cultural differences are okay.

I was expecting to go abroad and meet an Italian boy that would turn me into a international superstar like Lizzie McGuire, but I guess that was wishful thinking. It’s clear now that I definitely underestimated the adventure of studying abroad. I was in no way shape or form prepared for the colossal changes that lied ahead. But without the actual experience, it’s practically impossible to envision what studying abroad could be like. You can read a thousand articles just like this one that’ll try to describe it, but it’s truly a unique experience for everyone.

Title Image Credit*