Don’t Let the Angel’s Wings Tip Your Scale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

It’s every girl’s favorite time of year, the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show.  We join together for a girls’ night of “oohing” and “ahhing” as we watch the statuesque angels strut down the runway.  The show starts out with wonder at the clothes, slow motion shots of perfection, the 2.5 million dollar Fantasy Bra, and the wings for the aquatic line that seem to flow like they are actually moving through water.

Unfortunately, it usually ends with questions of, “Did she REALLY pop a child out of that perfect body?”  The show’s intention is to promote the next line of lingerie and the remarkable creative force behind the company.  However, it usually ends up instead promoting a “perfect” physique and, for the audience, extreme body awareness.

Constantly bombarded with images of flawless models, the majority of the female population has fallen into the trap of media’s promotion of unrealistic body image.  As one browses blogs about the show, one sees encouragement to put down the Christmas cookies and hot chocolate and bring out the celery.  Just because it’s getting cold outside doesn’t mean you need to fatten up for hibernation with the animals etc, etc. We’ve seen it all. These articles put a spotlight on the already always-present pressure on girls to be skinny.   This contributes to the increasing amount of dieting and eating disorders.  What girls don’t see, however, is that the majority of the models are not simply rail thin, but muscular and healthy.  The women most likely have personal trainers and strict healthy diets.

What average people don’t realize is that it is these women’s job to look good.  Being in shape and eating healthy are part of their profession.   Putting that amount of effort into looks as a “normal” person, especially as a college student, is unrealistic. Placing your health in danger by attempting short cuts and eating disorders to get the ideal body is just as ridiculous.  Besides, if the Victoria’s Secret Angels were anorexic or overly skinny, they would not have the breasts or body shape to fill out and present the product they are selling, bras and underwear.  Victoria’s Secret seems to seek models with strength and a sexy allure, and they succeed.   The women show power and confidence with the bodies that they were given.

So in conclusion, don’t spend next year’s fashion show pinching your stomach fat and ridiculing your thighs that happen to touch.  Use it as an opportunity to motivate yourself to be healthy and happy with the skin you’re in.  Appreciate the fantastic designs walking down the runway and the confidence and fun the models possess.  Instead of lusting after their perfectly molded butts and flat stomachs, use their comfort in their own skin as an example for yourself. After all, the aim of Victoria’s Secret is to make women feel sexy, EVERY woman, no matter what shape or size.

So pick those cookies back up and enjoy yourself.  Maybe even go for a walk through your mall and to Victoria’s Secret and buy yourself a brand new matching bra and underwear set to strut what you’ve got.  Be the sexy, confident woman you know you can be.  Hey, maybe one day you too can be on that runway graced with a pair of flowing wings.

I am a journalism major at IU with a concentration and minor in apparel merchandising and a minor in studio art! 
Courtney Kabbes is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in apparel merchandising. When she's not busy updating Her Campus IU and promoting their site, she works as the Vice President of Social Media for the Retail Studies Organization and Ed2010 at Indiana. Some of her favorite things include shopping, mint chocolate chip ice cream, New York City, Bikram yoga, and spending time with her two favorite people: her mother and sister. Did we forget to mention her slight obsession with Pinterest? www.pinterest.com/ckabbes