The Diary of a Spring Intern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

HCIU’s Allison Berry is working as an intern in New York City this spring. Read this blog for helpful tips and tricks on getting internships and having fun! You’ll have access to all this information from a fellow writer who’s living the dream, right now! What could be better? 

It’s up to you, New York, New York

This is a dream come true. For the past three weeks I have been working as an (unpaid) editorial intern in New York City, a goal I’ve held for myself since I was 14 years old. Throughout this semester, I’ll be answering all of your burning questions about the magazine industry and landing that dream internship with topics such as building your resume, applying for internships, networking, and even fun, free ways to stay entertained in the Big Apple.

If you’re as much of a magazine junkie as I am, you know that major magazine publishing companies are based or hold satellite offices in NYC. Hearst, Conde Nast, Meredith, Rodale, and more. They’re all here, and they all want your help interning with their publication. That’s right, YOUR help. The first and most important thing you need to know is to never doubt yourself. Your dream job doesn’t have to just be a dream. Although I know looking for a post-graduation job is going to be a whole different ball game, I feel like I’m getting the experience I need during my internship to prove to editors that I can do whatever it is they need.

If you don’t believe it can happen, then no one else will either. Don’t tell yourself that you’re at a disadvantage because of your year in school, experience, or location, because if you truly start to believe that, editors will too. So sit back, grab that resume, and start brainstorming where you want to be this summer. Let’s see if we can make it happen together.

Courtney Kabbes is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in apparel merchandising. When she's not busy updating Her Campus IU and promoting their site, she works as the Vice President of Social Media for the Retail Studies Organization and Ed2010 at Indiana. Some of her favorite things include shopping, mint chocolate chip ice cream, New York City, Bikram yoga, and spending time with her two favorite people: her mother and sister. Did we forget to mention her slight obsession with Pinterest? www.pinterest.com/ckabbes