5 Steps to Landing Your Dream Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Nowadays it has become essential for every collegiette to have at least one internship to put on her resume once she enters real world post-grad life. Internships are a great way to figure out what you want to do once graduation day has come and gone. So how can you find the perfect internship for you? Here are 5 simple steps to land your perfect summer internship.

Step 1: Do your research

First things first, you have to decide what industry you want to work in. Now if you have a pre-professional major this part won’t be too difficult, but if your major is something more broad, you need to pick a focus. There are a million websites dedicated to helping you find that dream internship. One in particular, Internships.com, is a great resource. It allows you to search through hundreds of different internships in different industries if you are unsure of exactly what you want. Also, a lot of different companies will have internship postings on their website so check it out and look at exactly what they have to offer!

Step 2: Stay Open Minded

Apply to as many internships as possible! Options are great, so even if you aren’t 100% sure about a certain program it doesn’t hurt to put the application out there, it may even help you gain connections and learn more about an industry you never expected.

Step 3: Customize your resume

Since you will be applying to more than one program it is important to not only make sure your resume is stellar but also that it is tailored to the particular internship you are applying for. It may just be a cut and paste situation where you move certain things to the top for one and elaborate different activities for others. For example if you are applying to a public relations firm, you want to emphasize your communications background in the “experience” section of your resume which is what your potential employer will spend the majority of their time looking at. You can include your summer job at the local ice cream shop in the “other activities” section of your resume because while that may show them more about you it’s not going to be the decision maker in this competitive process. Save every version of your resume if you need to refer back to it for a specific internship.

Step 4: Writing your cover letter

Writing a cover letter can be very tricky. Like your resume it is important to customize it to the internship. It is important that the letter feels personal and genuine. Make sure you state what position you are applying for and what you can bring to that position. Highlight a few skills or experiences but don’t go into too much depth because that’s what your resume is for.  Mention why the internship would be a good fit for you. Overall, make it unique. They should want to get to know you more! 

Step 5: Get Started!

The earlier the better so get moving! So many different companies are already looking to get a head start on their summer internship programs so if you start now you will be ahead of the game. If you secure your internship early you can figure out all the other pieces. If your internship isn’t in your home city you’ll need to find housing. A lot of colleges and universities offer housing in their dorms if they are located in a big city like New York or Washington DC. You can also apply for internship credits within your school so you won’t have to worry about it once you get back to Bloomington in the fall!

With these steps you will be well on your way to getting that perfect internship to put on your resume and give you a summer you will never forget! Stay focused, confident, and motivated! Good luck collegiettes!

Rachel Kantrowitz is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in Political Science with minors in journalism and history. Aside from writing for Her Campus IU, Rachel is also the Social Committee Chair for Independent Council at IU and spent her summer interning at a magazine in London! Some of her favorite things include shopping, her hometown, Boston, traveling and thursdays at KOK.