10 Sign It’s Time to Move On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

1.     Mr. Is He Right? The simple notion of even thinking about whether or not it is time to move on from your guy can be one of the biggest and most ignored signs that it is time to move on. People in happy relationships wouldn’t have to question if they should be in one. Exception: It is just your personality to overthink everything.

2.     Call me beep me, if you wanna reach me. If your conversations have gone from hanging out and phone calls to the casual check-in text, it may be time to break-up. While we are all guilty of loving to text, you shouldn’t limit yourself to this form of communication. At the end of the day, hearing your boyfriends voice is so much better than a smiley face. Exception: You were never big on talking on the phone.
3.     Cheating. You have either cheated or thought about cheating. People don’t just cheat for fun. If you or your boyfriend has cheated, clearly things aren’t working out. Also, thinking about cheating can often be just as dangerous as actually cheating. If you fall into this category, it is probably time to move on. Exception: You haven’t declared that you are exclusive yet.
4.     Let’s take a break. This commonly used phrase is one of the most prominent signs that it is time to move on. Taking a break is usually just the gateway drug to breaking up. Why delay the inevitable? If things are that bad that you or your guy feels the need to take a break, do yourself a favor and break-up for good. Exception: Summer breaks.

5.     Absence makes the heart go wonder. I know it sucks, but if you and your guy won’t be seeing each other for a significant amount of time, you should probably move on. Very few long distance relationships work, especially in college. Attempting to stay in a long distance relationship often results in more damage. Exception: Staying together while abroad.
6.     Always having a guy’s night. If your guy claims to be having a guy’s night, multiple times in a weekend, he is not worth being with. Of course you want him to have his fun, but make sure some of that fun is with you. Exception: Special occasions. If it’s his best friends birthday and he has a weekend of celebrations planned, cut him some slack.

7.     NEVER having a guy’s night. The other extreme of this is not good as well. A relationship does not mean losing all of your friends. If he does not feel comfortable with spending a night without you, he may be too dependent on you. Those who are comfortable in their relationships should be comfortable leaving it for a night. Exception: There really are no exceptions for this category – unless you like stage five clingers.
8.     Lack of affection. Are you kissing/hugging (or not G-rated things) less? This could be a sign that the relationship is not working. Our physical actions can often speak louder than words. Exception: If you just haven’t seen each other.

9.    Too much affection. Yet another opposing sign of a bad relationship. If your relationship is only physical, you may want to consider cutting all ties. Exception: If you only want a physical relationship… “Friends with benefits” is not just a cinematic trend.
10.We need to talk. While these words are usually saved to end a relationship, they can also save a relationship as well. You NEED to talk to your boyfriend. Communication is key to having a successful relationship. When you stop talking, something is usually wrong. In love, silence is most definitely not golden. No exceptions.

Rachel Kaplan is currently a Junior at Indiana University. She is an active writer and Campus Correspondent for the IU Chapter of Her Campus. Rachel is majoring in Journalism with a double minor in Art History and Studio Art. While originally from Philadelphia, she hopes to move to New York City after graduation and pursue a career in Public Relations. Often found in Starbucks, Rachel loves to sip on her iced coffee while she writes, edits, and brainstorms articles for HCIU. Rachel is a proud sister of Alpha Epsilon Phi and is looking forward to living in the Phi house next year. She loves tennis, writing, OPI nail polish, the Hoosiers, gummy bears, and spending time with her family and friends.Follow Rachel on twitter: @_rachelkaplan & @HerCampusIU
Courtney Kabbes is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in apparel merchandising. When she's not busy updating Her Campus IU and promoting their site, she works as the Vice President of Social Media for the Retail Studies Organization and Ed2010 at Indiana. Some of her favorite things include shopping, mint chocolate chip ice cream, New York City, Bikram yoga, and spending time with her two favorite people: her mother and sister. Did we forget to mention her slight obsession with Pinterest? www.pinterest.com/ckabbes