Winter Bodies Dancer: Ezgi Irmakkesen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Name: Ezgi Irmakkesen 

Major: Physical Therapy 

Minor: Dance 

From: Estambul, Turkey

Her Campus: When did you start dancing and why?

Ezgi: I started dancing when I was four after seeing my sister perform in her ballet recital. I forced my parents to sign me up. I started doing it seriously when I was 11 after being recommended to a conservatory by my teachers​.

HC: What is the best thing about dancing?

Ezgi: IT IS SO HARD TO CHOOSE ONE BEST THING, but you get to experience many different art forms – from acting to music. There’s a great number of styles within dance itself, and so many opportunities to explore different aspects untl you find what you like. There’s something for everyone. Also, for me personally, it is my home away from home. I don’t have to dance at a specific place or with a specific group of people, wherever I end up taking class or performing is a space where everyone shares the same language no matter where they are from and create a bond through dance, which has been extra special for me as an international student: it is my comfort zone.

​ HC: How did you balance Winter Bodies, On the Floor and school?

Ezgi: Being busy actually helped me become more organized and efficient with the time I spent working, though I still had to sacrifice some sleep occasionally. I did get pretty tired both physically and mentally at some points but I also got to do what I love so I couldn’t complain!​

HC: What’s your favorite type of music to dance to?

Ezgi: My favorite type of music to dance to recently became electronic/ambient; it’s fun to improv to which is something new for me. I also love the basic, classical music because of ballet, as well as instrumentals of popular songs. If we’re talking about watching, however, hip-hop videos are my go to! ​

HC: Least favorite?

Ezgi: I don’t think I have a least favorite!​

HC: Do you think you could ever stop dancing?

Ezgi: Definitely not! It is my passion and escape from the worries and the stress of real life. And it simply just feels so good! You get to be in your head only focusing on yourself and the good time your having and nothing else for a bit, which is a nice break for the mind. Even though this sounds cliche my life quiet literally would not be complete without it.

1,2

Ithaca College 2018 • Journalism • International PoliticsI am from the Colombia and the Dominican Republic, have a love for monograms and monochromes. Black is my essence but greys are ok too. http://www.thepucsh.com