Seven Books Every College Girl Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

We know you have no time to read when in college but on the off chance that you do: here are seven books you should check out, even if it’s just over break! They aren’t all our favorite books, but we believe they are important for all college girls.

1. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Plath’s novel is great for anyone to read but especially for girls in college. Semi-autobiographical, the novel deals with Plath’s own time adjusting to school as well as the state of her mental health. This novel can be a comfort to those who don’t feel at ease once getting to college.

2. The Great Gatsby By F Scott Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby is a great novel showing how toxic a relationship can be when one can’t let go of the past. Not only is it one of our favorite books, but it also is a great story for college students just on the verge of real adulthood (yikes!).

3. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

This graphic memoir is Satrapi ‘s tale of growing up in a time of revolution as well as finding who she is as a woman. It’s full of feminism, and it’s really informational about the Iran Revolution of 1979.

4. Forever… by Judy Blume

This novel by Judy Blume is meant to help people with their first sexual experiences. There’s no shaming in college for what you have and haven’t done (and if someone is doing this, you don’t need them in your life.) The novel takes a look at the relationship and closeness that comes with an experience like this.

5. Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen  

This classic from Austen is one that everyone needs to read. It’s not just a typical love story. Reading this will give you a better understanding of the importance of first impressions, and it’s a great chance to enjoy a wonderful story.

6. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

This book is one of our all time favorites. It follows two women who are a generation apart and their relationship between each other and with men. Hosseini is widely known for his debut novel The Kite Runner, but this book is overlooked too often.

7. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

This book is one of the best books ever. It takes place in a dystopian setting where men have control and women are compared to slaves or just there for show as trophies. It follows a young girl known as Offred and her struggles accepting the society. Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Image Credit:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

A girl hooked on phonics.