O.M.G., It’s A Bling Thing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

It seems as though I will be spending all my money on the movies this summer. Hey, speaking of money, let’s talk about the elephant in the room, which is Sophia Coppola’s film The Bling Ring, starring the talented and beautiful, Emma Watson. Just when we thought she couldn’t get any better, she did, and this movie looks as flawless as her.

For those who have never heard of this movie or the true story behind it, let me break it down for you (L.A. style, of course):

So like basically, this group of like L.A. teens back in 2008 began stealing clothes, shoes, pocketbooks, drugs, and like other stuff from like celebrities’ homes. OMG! I know it is like such a travesty! They even used to call it “shopping”! Some of these celebrities included like Paris Hilton, Audrina Patridge, Lindsay Lohan, and Orlando Bloom. They would like go on Google and see where the celebrities lived and when they were like away from their homes, this group, known to the media as “the Hollywood Bling Ring,” would go in and like steal all their stuff. Luckily, like a year later, the cops got the criminals and they were all arrested! All I can say is thank goodness for karma! It was totally the news of the town and is now being made into like an amazing movie!

Now I am going to write this back in New York style, which feels much better to me. This story truly shows our obsession with celebrities, exclusivity, and material. I am glad I did not grow up in Los Angeles, where the temptation to be rich and famous is everywhere. Although these characters might seem superficial after all that they did, I watched an interview with Emma and she said that there are deeper issues at hand with these characters. This will be interesting to see and I hope that we take a few lessons away from this movie when it comes to celebrities. I want to be a celebrity publicist after I graduate and it’s not because I want to meet all the celebrities or go to movie premieres, but it’s because I want to humanize them and relate them to others. No matter how many Dior handbags a celebrity might own, he or she is a person first and that’s what our society has to keep in mind. Plus, the grass is not always greener on the other side, money can’t buy you happiness, and [insert another cliché saying here], you get my point.

Aside from the deep parts and lessons of this movie, I am very excited to watch Emma rock her long hair again and a L.A. accent. There are also some break-out stars of this movie and that is something to look forward to as well.

As in my previous article for The Great Gatsby, here are links for the trailer #1 and trailer #2 of The Bling Ring. So, like let’s go shopping…to the movies, of course!

Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!