My Life Is Bro: An Introduction to the Bro Subculture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

MY LIFE AS BRO: An Introduction to the Bro Subculture

Glossary:
1. Pinnie – a thinner version of a man tank top; not a real shirt
2. Sporty Spice Bro– A Bro that is affiliated with a sports team
3. Bod – body

The term “Bro” is loosely thrown around and applied to different men and it has become harder to know what people mean when they reference “Bro-ness.” After spending a year or so on the Ithaca College campus, I can now proudly boast of knowing a handful of bros on a more intimate level and thus having some insight into what it really means to be a Bro. The term itself can be seen as derogatory, vague, or meaningless depending on the social circle it’s mentioned in; some Bros don’t quite understand where the stereotypes surrounding their lifestyle come from. This blog will be a handy guide to navigating the world of Bros. 

After observing the subculture of Bros from a distance, I’ve solidified a few of the potential Bro categories:

1. Lax Bros: (lacrosse players, for those not familiar with the sport) usually recognizable by any assortment of Lax gear or clothing sporting the Lax logo. They can be found in groups of other Lax players and oftentimes sporting the infamous “Pinnie.”

2. Football Bros: extremely conspicuous—they tend to travel in packs. There is an overwhelming presence of clothing that is navy blue. They often wear sweatpants with Ithaca Football t-shirts, hats, hoodies, etc. Besides the excessive IC gear, most football Bros are just plain beefy – they are huge and look like they could move a bus needed.

3. Frat Bros: these are lacking at Ithaca College…because there is no Greek life. However, it is still possible to see the type of Bro that would definitely be in a frat. They may not necessarily be Sporty Spice Bros but they tend to be super invested in the toning of the bod. They often sport the shorts/polo or shorts/t-shirt look or even the shirts/basketball shorts style seen in different frat cultures on other campuses (for example, Northern Arizona University).

4. Rugby/Soccer Bros: they tend to be less visible on the IC campus. I have them lumped together because sightings are so infrequent. From what I gather, these Bros tend to fly solo more often. The allusive soccer Bro is hard to distinguish from the general public without clues like IC Soccer apparel or soccer gear. The same goes for rugby probably because there is all manner of body types that can fit into a role on the rugby team.

5. Music Bros: they’re unavoidable on a campus so dedicated to its music school. These Bros are harder to spot as they tend to blend in more but they usually air on the trendier or “alternative” style dress going for the jeans/t-shirt/leather jacket or sweater vest/tie look. This category is one I have not totally fleshed out yet.

Are there types outside of these categories? Most definitely. I am at the precipice of my journey into the land of Bros. Recently, my life has taken a turn for the better in my quest for insider knowledge. By lucky coincidence, I have started to spend a minimum of one night per weekend with a handful of Bros I know through a mutual friend. They are opening my eyes to the inside world of being a Bro and what the identity really means.

It may seem incredibly offensive to typecast men into these categories that I’ve begun to construct. This is not my intention. I am beginning the process of trying to understand the complex subculture of Bros that are so present on the Ithaca College campus and beyond! It is time to crack open this obscured culture and explore the different nuances. From this blog-post on, I will be immersed in further research and discussion about this society within our society.

Cady Lang is a junior (class of 2014) at Ithaca College, where she is studying as a journalism major with English and art history minors. Cady is currently the Editor in Chief of 360 Magazine, Ithaca College's narrative style publication. She is also a staff writer and blogger for the college's award-winning newspaper, The Ithacan and a frequent contributor to Buzzsaw Magazine, the college's alternative magazine. She also has experience as an intern for Condé Nast and Diablo Magazine. She is devoted to art, culture and brunch. She hopes to pursue to a career in magazine journalism. Follow her on twitter: @cadylang.