Marieme Foot: Senator of Student Government Association

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Name: Marieme Foote

Major: Environmental Studies and Politics

Year: Sophmore

Marieme Foot, a sophomore Environmental Studies and Politics major is senator of Student Government Association (SGA) and with the teamwork of SGA, helps student’s voices be present and clear on campus to create a better environment for the student body. 

Her Campus Ithaca College: What does SGA do?

Marieme Foote: SGA represents the student body, channels student’s voices in order to make a impact in administers’ decisions and policies that affect other students.

HCIC: What is your role in SGA?

MF: I am the senator. I am the liaison between the senators and the executive board.

HCIC: What are your responsibilities as senator?

MF: I run meetings and have knowledge of parliamentary procedures. In addition, I run elections and send out any information needed through emails. I also have the responsibility of bringing in and welcoming the guest speakers. Anything to do with senators and meetings, that’s me. 

HCIC: What are some current bills?

MF: We recently passed a LGBTQ studies bill. It focuses on making it into its own minor and making it a stronger department. Before Women Studies and LGBTQ studies were together, but now Women Studies and LGBTQ studies are separated. In addition, we are working on the States of Student Address, which covers everything that pertains to students and everything we need to k now that goes on in campus and it will be given by the president of the student body, Dominick Recckio.

HCIC: What do you love about working in this position?

MF: I like working with people and having new solutions to the issues on campus. I also like getting senators involved in the community.

HCIC: What’s challenging about this position?

MF: I would say being transparent. I am working on being transparent, which at the end it is rewarding.

HCIC: Beside SGA, what else do you participate in on campus?

MF: I am the information coordinator for ALS (African Latino Society) and I am an MLK scholar. On my free time I love to go hiking, watch Games of Thrones and test new vegan recipes.