The Lowdown on Birth Control (and not just the pill!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

For college girls, it’s becoming more and more common to use some kind of birth control. While most people think that the best way to do so is by taking a pill, many people don’t know that there’s many different ways to go. While some may have a higher percentage of effectiveness, they all are here to do the same thing; to prevent pregnancy, help decrease acne, regulate periods… the list can go on and on. The most important thing you can do is make sure that they work for you and your body, since they all have different effects on different people.

Listed below are the many different types of birth control, what exactly they do, and what some people have said about them:

1. Male Condoms

Yes, believe it or not, this is a form of birth control. They’ve been known to be about 82 percent effective, and are good for one use. Make sure you check the brand; Trojan condoms have the best reputation for rarely breaking. Plus sometimes people have noted that they’ve had allergic reactions to condoms, so be careful. And even if you do use a condom, it’s good to be safe and use some other kind of birth control as well. These are probably your cheapest options though, and you can buy them anywhere.

2. Female Condoms

These are a little less effective at about 79 percent. Instead of using this to fit on a penis, this fits inside a woman’s vagina. It’s a little pricier; usually it’s about 2-4 dollars, but it can be inserted up to 8 hours before having intercourse in order to be effective. However, it also runs the same risks as male condoms such as allergic reactions and breaking.

3. Contraceptive Sponge

These vary in effectiveness; it ranges from 76-88 percent. It works in a way that female condoms do, but it can be inserted 24 hours before intercourse in order to be effective and can be left in 6 hours after intercourse. It’s a plastic sponge that kills sperm, essentially. However some people can find it a little messy, and this can also cause allergic reactions.

4. Hormonal Pills

There’s been much debate on how effective hormonal pills may be, but the truth is that if you take them at the same time every day, then they’re usually about 97-99 percent effective. However, it can be difficult to remember to take the pill at the same time every day, so make sure that if you don’t, you use a second form of birth control. A lot of girls take hormonal pills simply to regulate their period or control their acne, and if that’s the case, then taking it at the exact time every day isn’t a huge priority; it can be a few hours off. The prices also vary; if your health insurance covers it, it could be free. Mine was not covered, so when I was taking it, it cost about 66 dollars for three months of pills.

5. “Morning-After” Pill

Quick note- if you are currently taking a pill, do not intermix these two types of pills. However, if you’ve had intercourse the night before and are not on any type of birth control (including condoms), it’s good to be safe by just taking one of these the next day. It can be a little pricey; at the Ithaca College health center the price is reduced, but at a pharmacy it may be between 30-65 dollars.

6. Shot 

This is an injection of the hormone progestin and lasts for three months until you need to get another shot. This can be good for people who forget to take a daily pill because you only need to remember to schedule to get another shot after 12 weeks. The effectiveness is 98 percent. However, be careful because according to studies it can make women’s periods either very light or nonexistent and can then take about a year for your body to conceive a child. Depending on health insurance, the price can range from free to 60 dollars.

7. Implant

This is a different kind of shot, where the shot injects an implant that’s a plastic rod, half the size of a matchstick, which stays in your arm for 3-5 years and is 99 percent effective. This can be a little pricier, ranging from free to 800 dollars. Then after three to five years, it also costs money for removal. Although this is one of the more effective options, it also can have more side effects, including tender breasts and extreme weight gain.

8. Intrauterine Device

This is essentially the most effective birth control, having been noted to be 100 percent effective, but it can be extremely painful and extremely expensive. Depending on the type of IUD you get, it can last anywhere from three to 10 years. However, depending on your health insurance, it can be anywhere from free-800 dollars. Many women who have this are happy and usually don’t need a second form of birth control, such as condoms. The process of getting the IUD, however, may be painful and leave you a little nauseous. But, after about a month you won’t feel a thing.

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Avid sun-lover, living in Ithaca winters
Holly is a 20-something-year-old travel and lifestyle blogger (http://hollyhabeck.com) based in New York. She’s a Hufflepuff, and her Starbucks order forever remains a grande Iced Sweet Cream Cold Brew. When she’s not writing or editing photos for this site, you can find her watching The 100 with her fiancee and cuddling with her chihuahua x pomeranian pup Pixie.