This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

It’s time to face the facts: no matter what we say, we’re going to stream a TV show or movie from an online provider at least once a week, if not more. This constant streaming then turns into a problem itself: Which provider should I use? Out of the many options, the two streaming providers it comes down to are Netflix and Hulu Plus. Both have great content but which one is the best?

PRICE:

We all know we aren’t the ones — actually — paying for this, but it is an important component to consider. 

NETFLIX: 

The basic plan for Netflix is $7.99 a month with gradual increases that allow for better streaming quality and the amount of screens that can be used at the same time. Now seeing as you’re likely to be watching at 2 a.m., this feature doesn’t matter as much.  

HULU: 

Much like Netflix, they have the same tier pricing starting with $7.99 and gradually going up from there. The difference here is that the basic plan has advertisements. They say it’s less than what you would see watching on T.V. but still, you have to watch ads even though you’re paying for it.  

WINNER:  

Netflix, because no one likes to see ads unless it’s the Super Bowl in the 90s. 

CONTENT:  

Both services have a lot to offer, which is important when considering what you want to watch.  

NETFLIX: 

Loads of original content that comes out regularly. They are the top contenders in the original market for online content and have hit shows like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, both critically acclaimed. They get the latest seasons of shows after they air by a few months. However, you can’t get live shows, which can be a bummer once you binge everything Netflix has.  

HULU:  

They have recently started airing new and original content as well as shows that are currently on the air by the next day. Their library may be smaller, but you have newer content.  

WINNER:  

Hulu, for the fact that it has shows that are airing now. There’s nothing worse than binging to realize you are all out of episodes on Netflix for the next year and a half. Been there, hated that.  

TV to Movie Ratio:  

It’s important to have a variety of things to watch.

NETFLIX: 

With a wide library of both TV shows and movies, it’s clear they have plenty of titles to offer. They even have some pretty weird test footage if you’re ever bored enough to watch that.  

HULU: 

They just have TV shows for the basic plan. Albeit there is a lot of TV out there to watch, but if I have to pay more just so I can watch a movie, that isn’t as enticing.  

WINNER: 

Netflix because, I don’t have to pay more to watch a movie.   

OVERALL VERDICT: 

I think this debate depends on your personal preference, but I think the real winner here is Netflix. It’s clear that we love Netflix, and it loves us, so why fix a thing that ain’t broke? Hulu is great, and I do watch it from time to time, but it’s easier just to go on Netflix.  

A girl hooked on phonics.