This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

At this time of year, most girls tend to feel bad if they aren’t in a relationship with a significant other. Stereotypically, Valentine’s Day makes you want to sit on a couch and each a sh*t ton of ice cream and watch Netflix. While that’s something we’d do any day of the week with pure joy, most women don’t see confidence in themselves when in this state. But, why not? Here are the reasons you should be happy and confident about being single on Valentine’s Day: 

THE KEY 

“You are a smart, strong, beautiful, independent woman, and you don’t need a man to complete you.” Dr. Coleman, aka Jamie Lee Curtis in Freak Friday, couldn’t have said this any better. It’s clear, concise, and most importantly simply true. 

Scam ALERT #ripoff 

Valentine’s Day is another excuse for companies to make money. Being single means you don’t have to succumb to the social standards of buying a crap-ton of cheesy stuff for another person. More than 13 billion dollars is spent annually on Valentine’s Day gifts! 

Scam ALERT Cont…. 

We don’t know about you, but we eat chocolate any day of the year without paying 20-50 dollars. The boxes looks HUGE, but inside are ten small chocolates, most with weird fillings that you up end spitting out anyways. 

BONUS: You can buy a bunch of chocolate the next day for half-off or more! 

You’re Not Alone 

Do you know how many people are single on Valentine’s Day? For every 100 single women out there, there are 119 single men who are the same age. That’s crazy. That also means that if you are looking for someone, chances are someone’s looking for you too! 

We could go on and on with different reasons on why it’s OKAY to be single and how you should be HAPPY. You’ll meet “the one” for you one day but, until that day comes, live life to the fullest. Hang out with your friends who have been there for you and make some time for yourself. You know, if you think about it, you always have one date option…yourself! Treat yourself to a nice day. That’s what we’ll be doing!

Shayna DePersia is from New York City. She's an Integrated Marketing and Communications major at Ithaca College's Roy H. Park School of Communications. She'd love to have a job in the creative department of an advertising agency when she graduates in 2018. While that's how she'd want to start her career off, her dreams include a talk show, and more importantly, to one day have a foster home in NYC (and expand upstate.) While she's the Social Media Director for Her Campus Ithaca (HCIC,) she loves writing articles when she can the most! P.S. You can call her Shay