The Bare Truth About Beach Volleyball

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

I’ve always found women’s beach volleyball entertaining.

Having just two players to cover a large area requires a deep level of understanding, trust, and communication. Long rallies – like goals in soccer – are uncommon, rare in a way that makes you appreciate them even more. And the sheer athleticism is awe-inspiring. Suffice it to say I wouldn’t fancy my chances in a dark alley with Kerri Walsh.

But some people like the sport for other reasons. Namely, the women.

Since the sport was brought to national prominence with its inclusion in the Olympic Games in 1996, the argument over women’s uniforms has raged. Under the rules provided by the league’s governing body, the International Federation of Volleyball (FIVB), women are traditionally required to wear a one or two piece bikini, while their male counterparts can get away with tank tops and loose fitting shorts.

Indeed, the clear discrepancy between the two has called into question the motivation behind the FIVB’s ruling. But although the uniforms may increase viewership, the argument isn’t a clear-cut issue of sexism. Many of the athletes themselves say that they wear the uniforms for practical reasons.

A U.S Olympian and Gold medalist, Walsh said in a podcast that she wears the two-piece bikini because it gives her an edge.

“I’ve played in a bikini for a very specific reason and it’s that it’s most comfortable. It’s something I feel empowered by, not distracted with. I’m not a sex symbol; I’m an athlete.”

While Walsh may deny the sexual nature of her sport, what can’t be ignored is that the uniform rule has prevented many women from playing the game.

In many countries, strict religious or cultural practices prevent women from wearing revealing clothing, much less the “barely-there” look required by the FIVB. I say required because, as of a couple weeks ago, the governing body changed its uniform regulations.

The new rule allows women to wear longer, spandex shorts, as well as a tank top that completely covers their midriff. The change was sparked by a desire to provide cultural sensitivity, as well to increase the diversity in a sport that is normally dominated by Europeans and Americans.

The question is, will the new uniforms change the sexual nature of the women’s game? Will fewer people tune in? Will anyone even care?

The FIVB has taken a big step towards neutralizing the sexuality of the sport with this rule change, as well as opening the game up to more women while proving that they care about more than just the skimpiness of the uniforms. But regardless, many of the athletes will continue to wear the old-style bikinis, as they apparently provide more comfort and maneuverability. So then, in order to prevent the spread of sexism in beach volleyball, we need to focus on the sport itself, rather than what the competitors are wearing. The more attention is drawn to the outfits, the more objectified the players become. Like Walsh says, they are athletes, not sex symbols, and should be treated as such.

And besides, many of us appreciate the sport for its competitiveness, athleticism, and grace.

Mostly.

Tessa Crisman is a sophomore (class of 2014) at Ithaca College, where she is studying as a sociology major with Spanish, environmental studies, and Latin American studies minors. Tessa is a Spanish and Arabic tutor for Ithaca College's Academic Enrichment Services, as well as a resident assistant for Residential Life. She is also an active member of IC Intercambios, which allows her to visit local farms to teach English to migrant workers, and of the Committee for Inclusive Education, a group promoting ethnic studies programs at Ithaca College and beyond. When she's not writing papers or handing out noise violations, Tessa enjoys knitting socks, going to the farmer's market, and dancing like there's no tomorrow. She plans to pursue a career in sustainable agriculture and food justice advocacy.