6 Inexpensive Ways To Decorate Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Christmas season is upon us ladies, which means endless singing of Christmas songs, pinning holiday cookies on Pinterest and decorating our dorms. Christmas is my favorite holiday and although I cannot be home during this season, I took it upon myself to turn my dorm room into a “Winter Wonderland.” It is great to bring a little bit of Christmas spirit during the time spent away from home.

Decorating your dorm can be expensive but I have found multiple solutions to this Christmas catastrophe so no college lady will have to spend their time at school without Christmas cheer.

Times”>1. The Christmas Tree: The Christmas tree is essential to any dorm during the holiday season but can be a more expensive item. You will probably have to spend money on this if you do not have an extra tree lying around your house. CVS or Walmart will usually carry small 3ft trees that will be a perfect fit for any dorm. You can also go into the woods and cut down your own Charlie Brown tree. Always remember to cut with caution!

Times”>2. Ornaments: One of my favorite parts about Christmas is actually decorating the tree. I love collecting different ornaments each year that tell a story of where my family has gone or what we have done. If you want to save money, make some ornaments of your own. There are hundreds of templates online to make paper ornaments that can be easily hung on the tree. It also never hurts to ask mom or dad if there are any extras you can take back to school with you!

Times”>3. Advent Calendar: We all had the chocolate Advent Calendar when we were kids and looked forward everyday to opening the tiny door to reveal the chocolate. For a fun Sunday craft with your friends, make your own Advent Calendar! You will need construction paper, a glue stick and markers. First, cut the construction paper (use red and green!) into long strips. Then fold the paper into rings and connect them together to create a paper chain. Lastly, link 25 rings together and write the numbers and the rings. Now you are the proud owner of your very own Advent Ring Calendar!

Times”>4. Paper Snowflakes: Seriously, who hasn’t made a paper snowflake?! This simple and easy craft can add a classy touch to any dorm room. All you need is white paper, scissors, and string and then you can start snippin’!

Times”>5. Lights: I love the lights outside my house during Christmas time and I’m pretty sure it could be seen from outer space! I also love hanging lights in my room especially when I’m doing work at night. Then when my roommates will turn off the main light this creates a relaxing and homey ambiance. Mini-lights from drugstores or supermarkets cost about five dollars, which are pretty inexpensive and totally worth it.

Times”> 

Times”>6. Presents: Christmas is not only about joy, love and family, but the presents you receive and give to others. To add the finishing touches to your dorm, make your door into a present! Wrapping paper and ribbons cost as much as lights however can be used for many things besides wrapping presents. For this craft you will need, wrapping paper (My personal favorite are ones with snowmen on them), scissors, tape, and ribbon. First, measure your door and cut out a rectangular piece to fit the entirety of the door. Then, have a friend or your roommates help out and tape the tops and bottoms of the wrapping paper to your door. After, measure the ribbon to fit horizontally and vertically across, cut and tape when done. Finally, make a large bow out of the ribbon and tape this to the middle of the door. You have officially decorated your dorm room for the holiday season.

What I love most about my dorm room during the holiday season is having my friends come over to watch a movie or hang out. We are may be poor college students, but it is possible to decorate your dorm inexpensively and have it still look fabulous! The holidays are all about being around the people that you love and care about; I am so happy that I have created that atmosphere here at IC!

Times”>           

“Times New Roman”;color:windowtext;mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:
#0400;mso-bidi-language:X-NONE”> 

I am a sophomore at Ithaca College studying, Communication Management and Design. I am a senator in Student Government, a member of the IC Spirit Week Committee and VP of Communications for Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow. I am looking to pursue a career in Event Planning, but in the meantime, I am a passionate traveler and fashionista.
Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!