5 Ways To Make Your Long Distance Relationship Last

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Let’s face it—long distance relationships are hard. I’ve been in one for a year and I’m still mastering the ropes of it. For those of you who are in a long distance relationship or thinking of going the distance, I’ve come up with 5 ways to make it work.

1. Keep an open communication. If something is bothering you, say what is on your mind. With long distance relationships it’s hard for your significant other to pick up on the little things that might be bugging you. Talking and communicating what the two of you want is key to both of you being the happiest that you can be.
  1. Be flexible. Let’s face it; you are in two different worlds when you are away from each other. You have different schedules and you are both around different people. If something comes up in either of your schedules that prevent you from seeing or talking to each other, don’t take it to heart. Things happen and you just have to go with it and make the most out of the situation.
  1. Trust your partner. Trust is key. Long distance relationships are based on trust. If you establish that you are in an exclusive LDR, you have to trust that your significant other won’t do anything. And you have to make sure you don’t do anything to break that trust too.
  1. Skype. Skype makes being away from your BF/GF so much easier because you get to see them! Sure you don’t get the physical contact, but you still get to see them when you are talking. You could even do Skype dates! It’s always nice feeling like you are spending time together, even if it’s through a computer screen.
  1. Plan a time to visit. Nothing is more exciting than seeing your significant other. Plan a time for them to visit or for you to visit them. It’s always fun showing your BF/GF where you go to school and who your friends are!
My name is Morgan Schuman and I am a junior at Ithaca College. I'm an Emerging Media major with concentration in design and production and I'm also minoring in the Honors program. I love going to concerts, salsa dancing, and exploring.
Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!