Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Types of Birth Control You Need to Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Birth Control is a daily necessity for many women, but do you know how many options you have? Every woman is different, so it is important to know what choices people are making and if they might work for you. Here are some (but not all) of your options:

1. Birth Control Implant

A birth control implant is a good option for those who aren’t great at remembering to take the pill because it takes little to no effort. A matchstick-sized implant is inserted into your upper arm and can stay there for up to five years. However, keep in mind that the implant does not protect you against STDs.

2. IUDs

There are two types of IUD: copper and hormonal. These are inserted into your Uterus and stay there for a number of years depending on the type you choose. The copper variety keeps you protected for up to 12 years while the hormonal one works for three to seven years depending on the brand. IUDs work to prevent pregnancy by averting the sperm cells so they cannot reach the egg. Like the arm insert, IUDs do not prevent STDs.

3. Birth Control Shot

The birth control shot is an injection given by a nurse or a doctor every three months to prevent pregnancy. The injection contains progestin, which prevents ovulation, so women cannot become pregnant. Again, this does not protect against STDs, but is a convenient option for those not good at relying on taking a pill. However, be sure you are able to get the shot every three months or it will not be effective.

4. Vaginal Ring

A small ring is placed inside your vagina and prevents pregnancy by releasing hormones. It is important to note when you need to insert or remove a new ring so that it works effectively. The ring should be changed every month but can be done by yourself at home. It should be noted that condom use is a must because it does not prevent from STDs.

5. Birth Control Pill

Birth control pills are a popular option because there are many different kinds in order to accommodate every woman and her body. Also, there are many affordable and convenient options for getting the pill. Although, it is important to remember to take the pill at the same time each day or it will not work effectively. If you are not good at remembering to take the pill and forget often, this is probably not the best option for you.

Ali Lear

Ithaca '22

Freshman Exploratory major
Gillian was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Ithaca from September 2018 to May 2019. She was a journalism major and anthropology minor at Ithaca College and graduated in May 2019. Gillian enjoys reading, writing, Harry Potter, the Sims and grilled cheese.