This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

One hundred and thirty-three years later and we’re still pulling a groundhog out of a hole every February. But what is it about Punxsutawney  Phil that keeps us coming back to party with him every February 2nd?

As a big Punxsutawney Phil stan myself, I am infinitely intrigued by the lore surrounding Groundhog’s Day. It has gotten to the point where it is a banned topic in my relationship. Whoops. However, the weird lore of Groundhog’s Day is just too good to miss out on. If you want the full story, I suggest exploring the official website. But if you want just the funkiest parts, here is a list of my favorite Groundhog’s Day lore, all of which can be found on said website.

He was on Oprah

In 1995 Punxsutawney Phil was a guest on Oprah Winfrey’s talk show. He did not answer any questions, but his handler did speak for him.

The Inner Circle

Mr. Punxsutawney is overseen by a whole slew of old men in top hats. Some with normal job titles, such as “Co-Handler”, but some with interesting ones, like “Shingle Shaker,” “Big Chill” and “Sky Painter.” And there’s so many of them. How many employees does one groundhog need?

Punxsutawney  Phil is immortal

This is not due to any magic power, but due to the elixir that he drinks every summer at the Groundhog Picnic.

Punxsutawney Phil has a wife

Her name is Phyliss. For some reason, they don’t feed her the elixir so she will die eventually. This is why we shouldn’t let men be in charge of women’s healthcare decisions.

The Inner Circle can communicate with Punxsutawney Phil through a secret language

This has to be one of my all-time favorite wacky things that the Inner Circle has announced to the public. This unique communication has allowed Punxsutawney Phil to voice his opinions, including a Prohibition Era statement where he threatened a sixty-week winter extension unless he was allowed a drink. What a party animal.

In short, Punxsutawney Phil and his Inner Circle are a hilariously good time and we should not question a holiday that brings good fun to good people.

Happy belated Groundhog’s Day!

Aidan is a sophomore Communication Management and Design Major with minors in Integrated Marketing & Communications, Sociology, and Women & Gender Studies. She loves to read and is passionate about sex positive education. When not balancing life's many demands, you can find her making midnight runs for chips and queso or crying over romcoms.