Uggs: A Love/Hate Relationship with Cyclones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Iowa State chapter.

Ugg boots have scurried across the Iowa State University campus for a while now and with that, they have made quite the stamp on our campus’ fashion.  Uggs appear in every classroom as soon as the first frost hits in the fall.  Many girls, including myself, are ecstatic to break out our beloved boots from the back of the closet.  However, with that excitement, skepticism accompanies.

With Uggs becoming more and more of a staple in an Iowa State Collegiette’s™ shoe wardrobe, I believe there are three different types of Ugg wearing Cyclones out there.  The first group consists of avid Ugg lovers (I place myself within this group).  The second group wears Uggs primarily for their practicality and ability to keep toes warm during harsh Iowa winters.  And the third group encompasses the girls who refuse to wear Uggs no matter their warmth or comfy-ness.

Avid Ugg lovers wear a pair of Uggs from their collection essentially every day.  Ladies, you know you fall into this category when you have more than two pairs of the “boots with the fur.”  According to the girls whom I believe fit into this Ugg wearing group, Uggs are practical, look cute and go with almost any outfit.  The boots can be dressed up with a pair of jeans and cute top or dressed down with yoga pants and a North Face.  (We know we have all done the Uggs + North Face get-up… sometimes more than once a week.)  Those who fall into this avid Ugg lover group have what it takes to wear the sheepskin boots day in and day out.

Some ladies do not consider themselves an Ugg lover, but rather a practical wearer.  Contrary to the avid Ugg lovers, this group wears Uggs solely for their warmth and comfort.  To members of this group, Uggs are not the cutest nor the most fashionable boots out there… but they do the job.  Typically, these ladies do not have more than one or two pairs of Uggs.  These wearers slip into the furry boots only when the temperature and wind here in Iowa get to be too much to bear.

The third type of Ugg wearers (or rather, non-wearers) is what I like to call the “ugh” group.  When some girls see Uggs shuffling across the floors of the MU, or on the sidewalks around campus, they think “Ugh, no more Uggs!”  Ladies who fall into this category could care less about the comfort or practicality of these fur boots.  To put it simply, these girls think Uggs are “Uggly.”  Other girls declare the boots to be mundane and boring due to the exhausted wear of the original Ugg boot style.  The over-popularity of the Ugg is a major reason why some ladies fall into the “ugh” group.

Of course, there can be modifications to these three groups of Ugg wearers, of lack thereof.  However, walking around our campus, these three groups seem to be the most prominent.  Uggs have gained recognition throughout the Iowa State campus and have turned many into Ugg lovers, as well as Ugg haters.  Despite the different opinions, it doesn’t look like Uggs are going out of style any time soon here at ISU.

Her Campus Iowa State did some digging around on the Just Sayin’ – Iowa State Facebook page to see what Cyclones are “just sayin’” about Uggs.   Here’s what was found:

“To those who think it’s fashionable to wear Uggs with neon colored striped socks/legwarmers.  It’s not.  Please…just stop.  Just sayin’.” –Kelsey

“But seriously. Ugg boots are just boots.  North Face jackets are just jackets. Get over it. Just sayin’.”  –Allison 

Hey:) I am a junior at Iowa State University and am majoring in Agricultural Studies and double minoring in Animal Science and Advertising! I love running, hanging out with friends, shopping and riding my horse, Peppy! People can always find me smiling! I love life and am living mine to its fullest!