This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Inter SG chapter.

Being a gamer sound great and it is great, but not all the time. There are multiple occasions where we have been uncomfortable with different comments and the way people approach us. I have to admit that a lot of people are really cool about it, but of course there is always a bad flower in a beautiful garden. Let’s see three of the most common situations or comments that we sometimes need to deal with.

1. “You are too old to be playing videogames”  

Shocking right? I didn’t know there was an age limit neither. Apparently paying taxes does not make you an adult but if you stop playing games, you are suddenly the wisest and mature person on the world. Of course, you need balance on the time and money you spend on it but playing videogames doesn’t make you childish. In fact, some of the best gamers on the world are adults; they even can make money of it by playing on different competitions. That is not childish for me.

2. “Do something more girly!”  

This is something that it would take pages and pages to write and talk about it. I am just going to say that playing games does not make me more or less feminine. Is sad how some people still think that playing videogames is just for the guys. In fact, in a recent study on the States found that the 45% of the gamer’s population are girls, and it’s still rising. This proves that this is not just a guy’s thing, just something that some people do. Not all the people are gamers but all the gamers are just people, without the gender in it.

3. “I like your voice, be my girlfriend/boyfriend.”  

Wait, what? Looks like an exaggeration, right? Well is not. This happens a lot on the online games. Some people by knowing just the sound of your voice they want something serious with you, like in most of the times they do not even know your name or anything.  

Let’s just say that some people trend to “fall in love” easily. Sometimes is really uncomfortable because you just want to play and so many Romeo’s or Juliet’s appear. Like so many apps for dating and they choose Call of Duty for courtship, very romantic. I am not focusing on meeting people online, I am talking about creating relationships when you do not even know their name.

These were just three of so many different situations that happen to us when we play. We still have a long distance to pass but I can say that these situations happen less by the time. People need to change and open their minds a little bit about the gaming world. Hope that in the future we do not encounter these situations and that people stop doing it again. Hope to see more and more interested on the gaming world because some games are not bad at all, we are the ones who makes the gaming life easier or hard.

Nashali Galarza

Inter SG '20

Hello there, My name is Nashali Galarza and I'm in an English Major. I love reading and the art of writing. Being the Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Inter SG was an important project for me which requires a lot of energy and dedication. I have published my first poetry book in December 2017 and will publishing the second one in October 2019. Also I am always looking for new writing adventures.♥