Life > Academics

Why Majoring/Minoring in English is One of the Best Things an Undergrad Can Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Indy chapter.

Some people might nitpick at an English major’s decision to, well, major in English. 

“When are you going to use that in a career?” Family member Joe Shmoe may ask at the Thanksgiving dinner table.

“Can you even make money doing that?” Negative Nancy sarcastically chimes in.

Despite misconceptions, English majors are useful in a variety of career opportunities. Not all English majors are on this dreamy path to writing books and becoming bestselling authors to one day sell their work at Barnes & Noble. Some go on to become editors for blogs and online magazines or become scriptwriters, poets, English teachers, reporters, publishers, librarians, translators, public relations managers, and even social media managers for a brand. That’s just to name a few of the many positions a student studying English can find success! Creative writers are important in many areas in both the business and entertainment industries. They help in advertising and marketing, compose the award-winning songs we jam to on the radio, and develop scripts for our favorite binge-worthy shows and movies. Where would the world be without writers?

Don’t let the gruesome hours spent deciphering Shakespeare’s plays in high school literature class stop you from appreciating the art and craft of language in college. While Shakespeare is a classic, I think many can agree his work was difficult to read and the analytical essays were a bit of a strain on the brain; however, we’re reading and engaging with text every single day! You’re reading this now! Or you stopped as soon as I said that…Later, you might check out a new article about your favorite celebrity’s dating life or dive into a site dedicated to your favorite game. Your professor could send the whole class an email about no homework for the rest of the semester (I wish!) or your friend texts if you want to hang out this weekend. We are constantly reading and communicating through written language, now more than ever, thanks to our smartphones and computers. Have I made my point clear yet just how much English classes are worth the time and effort, even if they aren’t required for you to graduate? As a proud English Creative Writing major, I encourage even non-majors and minors to take whatever courses they can to impress their future employers. Everyone—and I mean EVERYONE—wants someone good with their words.

I am thankful for the skills I have learned from the different English courses on campus and for working with some of the most fun and interesting professors I have ever had! From poetry and fiction writing workshops to classes specialized in creative nonfiction, short stories, horror stories, and young adult fiction, to the Literary Arts Programming: Kellogg Writers Series (KWS), Book Publishing, Whirling Prize, and Etchings Literary and Fine Arts Magazine, I have learned everything I need to take on leadership roles, express ideas to a group, and work in either independent or collaborative environments. All of this makes me more versatile and appealing to employers who must pick from a stack of applicants to be “the chosen one.” While participating in these classes, I’ve been introduced to several exciting professional and artistic opportunities outside of my planned career goals. They allowed me to dabble in more areas other than just publishing my writing because I’ve been a literary judge, magazine editor, co-host on a podcast, and agent’s assistant, and have gained experience in graphic design and photography.

Maybe it’s the sentimental senior side of me showing through, but the courses I have taken as an English major over the years have given me a whole new perspective of looking at the world around me and understanding myself. What better way to therapeutically reflect on your feelings than writing about them and seeing what you feel laid out on the page in front of you? This is not only great for your mental health, but the perfect way for you to see yourself as a character interacting with your surroundings. It honestly helps you realize how complicated people are: that we make mistakes and (hopefully) learn from them and that each person has reasons for their actions to keep their story moving forward. In a lot of ways, I’ve seen myself become a more thoughtful and patient person who is aware of and not ashamed of my emotions. That’s what makes us human.

Valuable skills you can learn as an English major/minor include:

• Written and verbal communication
  • Organization
  • Planning
  • Decision-making
  • Problem-solving
  • Attention to detail
  • Creativity
  • Empathy

Majoring or minoring in professional writing and/or creative writing in college can boost your resume and help you master the ability to convey your ideas clearly and with confidence all while becoming an improved version of yourself.

I am a singer, writer, content creator, and a senior creative writing major and music minor attending the University of Indianapolis. I love expressing myself on the internet through performance, song, and fashion. You can follow my creative journey on social media as Sierrallstar! ⭐ Stars cannot shine without darkness ⭐