This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Indy chapter.

This past Wednesday, three words put the Mendes Army in a frenzy. What is #Wonder This can mean only one thing. We getting new music, baby. Moments later, Shawn took to his Instagram to post a video. A pair of swallows, similar to the one tattooed on his hand, fly to a windowsill of a city apartment. The camera shows the apartment, “FAMOUS MUSICIAN GONE MISSING” reads the headline on the newspaper on the coffee table. There’s an unfinished painting in the corner, the canvas showing the visage of a man with his back turned to the viewer. All the while that the camera is zooming out, Shawn is laying on a mattress, laying down while playing the album’s intro. Giving a flashback to Freddie Mercury days. Moments later, Shawn took to his Instagram to post a video. A pair of swallows, similar to the one tattooed on his hand, fly to a windowsill of a city apartment. The camera shows inside the apartment, with “FAMOUS MUSICIAN GONE MISSING,” reads the headline on the newspaper on a coffee table. In the corner, there’s a canvas painting with a man with his back turned away. As the camera zooms out, viewers find Shawn lying on a mattress, playing the album’s intro on a piano. Giving the viewers a flashback to Freddie Mercury days.

Mendes sang, "You have a million different faces But they'll never understand Unless you let them in You've been a million different places So give yourself a chance to Get lost in wonderland". Led by the swallows, they take him on an adventure to Wonderland. The trailer ends with the two following dates, Oct. 2 and Dec. 4. The Oct.2 dates correspond with the release date for his “Wonder” title track, while the Dec. 4 communicate with the Wonder album release date. Shawn Mendes fans, I’ll give you guys a minute. To promote the upcoming album, Shawn has created a website, WhatIsWonder.com, which includes a 360-tour of the apartment. Fans were quick enough to find a notebook sheet featuring a potential tracklist of songs on the record, including “What I Fall”, “Shadows”, and “Teach Me How To Love”. The piece of paper also contains the phone number (305)-745-7485 for fans to text to get personalized messages from Shawn.

“I’ve missed you all so much! I know it’s been a really scary year for everyone so I’m sending buckets of love to all of you x,” he wrote. “I wrote an album. It’s called ‘Wonder.’ it really feels like a piece of me has been written down on paper and recorded into song. I tried to be as real and as honest as I’ve ever been. It’s a world and a journey and a dream and an album I’ve been wanting to make for a really long time. I absolutely love it. Thank you for being by my side for so many years. I love you all so much. This is the introduction to the album out on Dec 4th, and the first single ‘Wonder’ is out this Friday. I hope you can listen front to back,” Shawn posted on his social media. The brand-new single with an accompanying music video was released this past Friday. In the music video, we see Shawn at the top of a train, ducking his head as it passes through a tunnel. He later dances in a forest with backup dancers. Then he runs through the woods and intersects with an edge of a cliff. A massive wave hits the cliff, resulting in Shawn getting soaked, which I can’t complain about as we see his wet tank-top to showcase his muscles. It’s beautiful to see Shawn evolve more as an artist. The journey he takes the viewers into the fictional world of Wonderland. The song is a pivotal, solid power ballad. The chorus asks the question, “I wonder what it’s like to be loved by you?” is reminiscent of his previous hit-single, “In My Blood.” Shawn expresses his emotions and true self in the heart-felt power ballad. “Wonder” proves to be Shawn’s new anthem. I wonder what his new album will sound like. No pun intended.

Giselle is a junior at the University of Indianapolis studying Sports Communications and Spanish. Born in Chicago, she is a huge sports fanatic especially the Chicago Bulls.She loves listening to Shawn Mendes, eating Puerto Rican rice, and wishes dogs can talk.
Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Indy/ Class of 2022/ Marketing and Political Science / Feminist/ Aquarius