This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Indy chapter.

In the era of streaming networks after streaming networks, it seems ‘Netflix and Chill’ has frozen in 2009. At one point, Netflix was the most popular streaming service, beating out Hulu and Amazon Prime Video. Now, though, many streaming services are offering better deals and more movie and television variety. The biggest threat to Netflix right now is the highly anticipated Disney Plus, which launches Nov. 12, 2019. The ad-free streaming service will include Disney Movies, the Star Wars series, new Marvel television shows, and many other movies and tv shows. One reason why Disney Plus is a popular option for consumers is the price. At $6.99 a month, $69.99 a year, it’s two dollars cheaper than Netflix’s basic streaming plan. Another reason why people are excited about Disney Plus is because of its options. Compared to Netflix, Disney Plus will offer more recent movies and television shows. As the world becomes more digitalized, Amazon Prime Video becomes more and more popular for consumers. Amazon Prime Video currently has twenty-six million viewers, many of whom toon in to watch the iconic The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, which has won thirteen awards. Other popular shoes on Amazon Prime Video include Homecoming which stars Julia Roberts and The Boys, which has become one of Amazon’s most-watched television shows of all time. It costs $8.25 a month to become a Prime member, which totals at $99 per year. The last major Netflix competitor is Hulu. With the rise of popular tv shows such as The Handmaidens Tale, Harlots, and Veronica Mars appearing on Hulu, more consumers are turning to Hulu’s streaming services. While Hulu is making a comeback, the drawback for this streaming

service is that there are ads that play throughout shows and movies. For the basic Hulu plan, it costs only $5.99 a month, three dollars cheaper than Netflix. As streaming services become more and more popular in a technological driven consumer market, the options will only continue to grow. While Netflix was once the leader in streaming services, its competitions only continue to grow in viewers. It seems that Netflix is staying in 2009 and not progressing with newer streaming services, which will ultimately be its downfall.

Communication Major Political Science Major Concentration in Human Communication Member of the UIndy Honors College Her Campus at Indy Campus Correspondent
Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Indy/ Class of 2022/ Marketing and Political Science / Feminist/ Aquarius