nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

You Don’t Need to Defend Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

While some people don’t have to defend what they’re majoring in, others have to navigate this tricky situation. It may not be an issue obvious to all, but it definitely exists. Why do we often question liberal arts and humanities majors and not STEM majors? Is it because we know the success rate for finding a job in STEM is far greater than someone in the humanities? Or that STEM jobs are expected to grow by 13% by 2027? I see the appeal of working for big companies in tech and business. However, you can’t compare apples to oranges. Plain and simple, it’s what you see yourself loving and doing for a potential career. It’s wiser to foster what a student is genuinely interested in. If you find yourself, as a student or adult, judging someone for their career choice, perhaps it’s a reflection of yourself. Let’s see what we can do about it.

1. Attitude

A stereotype that I’m sure I’ll hear for the rest of my life is the ‘starving artist’ story. As a painting and graphic design major, I’m used to it. However, it’s only an outdated stereotype. In addition to that, friends and family love to declare their doubts over your chosen path, whether that be art, journalism, philosophy, theater, and so on. It’s so easy to wallow in the low feeling of critique and use it as a crutch. I realized that my defensive perspective was shaped by their attitude towards my major. I can’t imagine choosing another major, so why am I defending it? I love what I do! It’s all about your attitude that will make you more confident in the long run.

2. See the value in all majors

Honestly, I’m thankful for a lot of majors. The engineering kids on the north side of campus are kicking butt. The communication and media majors are kicking butt AND taking names. Students in agriculture are going to help improve our crops in the near future. Business majors just have a lot more confidence than I ever will. I’m grateful for all of them, just as I would hope they are grateful for all the logos and brands they admire, the well-designed products they use daily, their favorite movies, theater productions they’ve attended, architecture they’ve ogled at, and books they’ve lost themselves in. We’re all pretty cool in the end.

3. Not everyone is judgmental

Don’t let someone else’s opinion of your major or their lack of knowledge make you feel bitter towards them. Most people are curious about what you plan to do after college. My friend recently reminded me that since I’m pursuing art, there are a ton of things I can pursue with my dual degree—that way, I may need to explain to someone my intended interests. For instance, with the skills I’ve gained through a traditional art practice (painting) and my digital practice using Adobe and coding programs (graphic design), and my interest in business, I’d love to try a lot of things! Ultimately, I would love to be an art director one day. Although it may sound like you’re defending yourself, you’re really showing those who are either curious or doubtful that there is a future for your career and frankly, there always was.

Photo 1  | Photo 2 | Photo 3

Hi there, I'm studying Painting and Graphic Design at the University of Illinois! I'm also an alum of the University of Leeds study abroad program (spring 2019). I'm interested in making illustrations and social media content, reading for fun, and love bike riding. I'm staying a fifth year to complete both of my degrees. I also enjoy taking Advertising, Business, and History classes too.
Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.