Why does tuition keep rising?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Tuition rises at the University of Illinois each and every year for incoming students.  Last year the tuition was raised 6.9 percent; it was agreed that next year the tuition price would be raised another 4.8 percent for incoming freshman.  In hard economic times, many futures students and their families ask if the tuition raise is really necessary.

The university’s tuition is set by the Board of Trustees each year.  The university’s Office for Planning and Budgeting provides the Board of Trustees with the Background Information Concerning Financial Aid, a document containing the needed to set tuition prices.  According to the University of Illinois official website, this document includes institutional comparisons, instructional costs, explanations of differential tuition, state spending levels and details on financial aid.

Tuition is not the only expense rising.  Room and board at the university was raised 2,5 percent as well as student fees, which will now be $2,882.  Student fees cover building maintenance, student legal services, University organizations, and more.

Michael Hogan, the university’s president, has stated that the annual tuition increases have been going down; they are dependent upon state funding.  Luckily, for the students already enrolled at the University of Illinois, their tuition is locked at what they were paying their freshman year.

Not all students have to pay ‘sticker price’ for tuition.  In fact, only forty percent of students at the university pay full amount for tuition.  Fifteen percent of students at the university do not pay anything because of grants and scholarships. It is very important that every student look into their financial aid options.  There are countless scholarships offered not only by the University, but several organizations that would love to see students become an Illini.  For more scholarship information and options at the University of Illinois go to http://admissions.illinois.edu/cost/scholarships.html.

Even with the tuition increase, room and board increases, and student fee increase applications are still coming in by the thousands from prospective students whom would love nothing more than to be an Illini.  There were 31,261 applications received for the incoming fall class, only about 7,000 of those students will become an Illini.  It is safe to say that the University of Illinois does not have to worry about not having enough students to fill the freshman class.

If you would like more specific information on how and why the tuition is increases at the rate it is go to http://www.uillinois.edu/administration/budget.tuition.cfm.

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!