This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Have you ever wondered why people often say, “Actions speak louder than words?” This saying is right on the mark when it comes to body language. The way we use our bodies to express ourselves can make a big difference in what we are trying to communicate, sometimes even more than our words. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at why body language matters so much in our everyday lives.

Imagine walking into a job interview and instantly noticing that your potential employer has crossed their arms and an annoyed expression on their face. What feeling do you think this gives the interviewee? The interviewee is probably intimidated, thinking the employer is unfriendly and not interested in them. This is when body language becomes important. It helps convey feelings, thoughts and attitudes without using words.

We constantly use non-verbal cues to interpret the world around us. A smile from your friend can silently affirm they care about you. A pat on the back can provide comfort during tough times. Facing your supervisors at work rather than facing another direction can show that you respect them and care about what they have to say. Understanding how these cues come off to other people allows us to fix any bad habits we may have with our body language.

Good communication is essential for any healthy relationship, whether it is professional or personal. Words are important, but our body language can make or break any social interaction. In close relationships, things like hugging, making eye contact, and smiling can show love, trust and understanding without even saying a word.

In a professional setting, body language is equally important. A firm handshake, confident posture and maintaining eye contact during a business meeting can show that you’re confident and trustworthy. Employers often look for these cues when deciding on job candidates because they know it makes a huge difference when you want to come off as professional, a team player and overall likable as an employee.

While understanding body language is useful when interpreting others; It’s also important to understand the signals we are sending out. When we notice our own body language, we can understand our emotions and behaviors better. For example, if we fidget or avoid looking at someone, we’re likely to come across as nervous or insecure. Having this self-awareness helps us address these issues and work to better our communication skills.

Good control of body language can help us achieve our personal and professional goals. Think about public speakers; they use body language to appear confident and to connect with the audience. So, next time you’re engaged in a conversation, pay attention to not just your words but your physical gestures and facial expressions. They can make all the difference!

Lauren Cravens

Illinois '25