Style > Fashion

Ways To Look Put Together On A Lazy Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

We all have those days where we know we have to go out, but would much rather stay in bed all day. Been there, done that. Whether you’re going to class, running errands, or doing anything else, there are always ways to look put together without putting too much thought into it! Here are a few of my favorite style tips for those days!

The Sandwich Method

Maybe you’ve seen this trend on TikTok, but if you haven’t, allow me to explain. We all know the basic components of a sandwich: bread, filling, and another slice of bread… so, who’s to say you can’t implement this principle into the way you dress? Basically, the “sandwich method” of dressing entails matching the color of your top and shoes and wearing a different colored pair of pants/bottoms. This creates a balanced look and is so easy to accomplish! I like to pick out my shoes for the day first, then pick a top of the same color to match it, and lastly, pick what to wear on the bottom. This is my favorite method of styling because it’s so simple and easy, but it still looks amazing! 

matching sets

Who doesn’t love a good matching set moment? For the days where you physically cannot bring yourself to put on anything other than your cozy sweats and an oversized sweatshirt, try wearing a matching set! And no, you definitely don’t need to go out and buy an actual matching set. Simply wearing the same color on top and on the bottom, is an effortlessly chic way to look put together. The best part is that you don’t have to compromise your comfort!

wear neutral colors

If you’re like me, your closet might be filled with neutral colors like black, white and beige. If it’s not, then I definitely recommend getting a few basic pieces that are! For me, having neutral-colored clothing options takes the stress out of having to figure out if certain colors will go well together or not. Plus, you can never go wrong with matching black and white, black and beige, or white and beige. The combinations are endless!

iron your clothes

For some, this might not be a viable option… but if you have an iron, and you have the time, definitely try ironing your clothes before you leave the house! If you don’t have an iron, you can try hanging your clothes up in the bathroom while you take a hot shower, so the steam can iron those wrinkles out. Wearing wrinkle-free clothes is a great way to ensure your clothes look neat and fresh.

bonus: how to feel put together

Sometimes, no matter how much time you spend getting ready, you still might just not feel ready for the day. Don’t worry, we’ve all been there. Here are a few small things you can do before going out to start your day off right: first, make your bed! This is a chore many of us tend to overlook, but, speaking from experience, making your bed in the morning and cleaning your room (if you have time) is a great way to start your day doing something productive, stay motivated and put you in a better mood. Also, make sure you eat a balanced breakfast! They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it’s important to give your body the necessary energy it needs to be productive during the day. Finally, it can be helpful to make a list of what you have to accomplish for the day in order to keep track of your tasks and stay organized! 

Hopefully, these style tips will have you ready to take on the day! Remember: you got this!

Alisha Haque

Illinois '27

Alisha is an undergraduate freshman at the University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign. She's majoring in global studies on the pre-medicine track, and is so excited to write for HerCampus this year!