The Voice Of UofI: Jamie Lampert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Whether you consider it a guilty pleasure or not, reality talent TV is some of the best entertainment out there. Two years ago, NBC aired hit show The Voice. It’s a show that features some of America’s most talented singers.

For those of you who are not familiar with the premise of the show, it’s unlike any other singing competition. It’s broken down into three phases — a blind audition, a battle phase and live performance show. There are four judges/coaches who choose teams of contestants through a blind audition process. In the second stage, the judges/coaches have their team members battle against each other, through singing, that is. In the final phase, the remaining contestants from the singing battle compete against each other in live broadcasts for the publics vote. The contestants on the show are all super talented and I’m wowed every time one of them performs.

So, you may ask why am I going on a tangent about The Voice? Well, C-U has its very own celebrity! Jamie Lampert rocked it on the hit show The Voice, and I was fortunate to speak with her about it!

Her Campus: What prompted you to audition for television show The Voice?

Jamie Lampert: Well, I am a huge fan of the show! But, I have to thank my sister for giving me that push to audition for it. I don’t think I would have without her encouragement.

HC: What was the audition process like?

JL: It was pretty extensive. 45,000 auditioned and only 147 made it to the very end! I can’t say too much about it, but it was a really awesome and fun experience!

HC: Is singing something always you’ve had a passion for?

JL: Yes, I have always loved to sing. I probably started singing back when I was 7 but never for other people! It wasn’t until last summer that my family knew I could really sing. I was in choir in high school but never auditioned for the solo parts.

HC: Well, look at you now! Singing in front of Christina Aguilera and Adam Levine… were you nervous?

JL: Obviously there are the natural stage nerves but the adrenaline kicks in. The audience is so much fun- they’re dancing and singing along and so happy to be there that it’s just so awesome being on stage. And that band- they’re incredibly talented! So it was a blast being able to sing with them — such a cool experience.

HC: I’m sure that had to be a surreal experience. Are you totally glued to the TV this season now after this whole experience?

JL: Well I’ve always been a huge fan, but now I have a deeper understanding and appreciation for the show and what each contestant has to do to get to that point. You go through months of auditions and every contestant up there is truly talented and deserves to be there. Remember though, it is reality TV!

HC: Ha! Yes, Reality TV does have a way of misrepresenting things…

JL: Oh, it’s not like that! They portrayed everyone in a really great light. I can’t get over how awesome the cast and crew were to be around. Everyone on the show was all really genuine and supportive. They wanted to see you succeed. Blake was so awesome- he ended up giving me a hug!

HC: Well, besides the hug from Blake, what was your favorite part of the whole experience?

JL: Well, besides getting to audition for some of the biggest names in the music industry, I would definitely say getting to know all the people I was there with. Everyone with different backgrounds, different stories, but we all shared music in common. It as a really cool experience and I met some really wonderful people through it.

HC: What is your takeaway from this experience?

JL: Just believe in yourself. If you’re willing to go after what you want, you can make things happen.

HC: Well said. So now that you’ve retired your stint as a reality TV singing star, what’s up for now? Any future in your singing career?

JL: Well, I performed at an event for 101.9 the Mix not too long ago. But right now, I’m focused on graduating as a Recreation, Sports and Tourism major. I do really hope to make music a part of my career in some capacity- I’m just not sure what that is yet!

Photos: Lindsey Law