This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Everyone, it’s that time of year again. Valentine’s Day! Now, I know that this holiday can stir many different emotions in people. If you are in a relationship, then I hope you have an amazing time with your partner! But, if you are single, like me, then you’re probably planning an intricate Galantine’s party, where there’ll be delicious food, fun crafts and good vibes with friends. But, there’s one thing that’s missing from this perfect event. A cute little rom-com to play in the background! And which era hands down had the best rom-coms? The 1980s, of course. Without further ado, here is a list of some of the best movies with the…most swoon-worthy…80s heartthrobs!

Sixteen Candles

Two words: Jake. Ryan. We love a lovesick king who can miraculously pull off plaid shirts and khaki pants! If you haven’t seen this movie, it features Molly Ringwald as Samantha Baker and Michael Schoeffling as Jake Ryan. The movie begins on the morning of Samantha Baker’s 16th birthday which she is ecstatic about because you only turn 16 once, but, her family happens to forget about her. Samantha’s sister is getting married within the week, so the family is extremely focused on preparing for that. Meanwhile, Samantha, who is a sophomore in high school, has a massive crush on Jake, a senior. Little does she know…he likes her back! Watch this movie (or rewatch it) for sure!

pretty in pink

Another Molly Ringwald classic! In this movie, Molly Ringwald plays Andie, a lower-class girl from Chicago. Andie is honestly such a cool character, she has amazing style, works at a trendy record shop and also has a cute, rich guy pining over her. Played by Andrew McCarthy, Blane pursues Andie, and Andie starts to fall for him. But, Andie realizes that there is a difference between their social class spheres…so will love prevail? It’s honestly a bit of a modern Romeo and Juliet retelling if that’s something you’re interested in! Definitely an amazing movie.

the princess bride

This recommendation is for all of my fellow fantasy lovers out there. Do you like pirates? Princesses? Forbidden love? Then this movie is for you! If you’ve ever heard someone quote, “My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die,” and wondered where it was from, it’s this movie! Buttercup, played by Robin Wright, is in love with a farmhand named Westley (Cary Elwes), but Westley leaves to find fortune and is presumed dead. Buttercup becomes betrothed to the prince of her kingdom…but her kidnapping leads to a passionate, love-filled adventure!

Some of my honorable mentions are Dirty Dancing, Can’t Buy Me Love, Mannequin and Valley Girl. Each of these movies will provide the perfect Galantine’s environment (where you and your friends can rank fictional men). Thanks for reading!

Baileigh Hannah

Illinois '25

Baileigh is a passionate English major that also loves to dabble in creative writing. When she isn't writing, you can find her rewatching The Office, reading a book, or listening to new music!