TV Blog: Meet the Real Immigrants from USSR

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

What do you get when you mix Jersey Shore with the Real Housewives of New Jersey? Let’s not forget to add a pinch of premium quality vodka. Just when you thought MTV’s Jersey Shore had all the drinking, hair-gelling and fighting you could handle, Lifetime recently premiered its Russian-American version of the barely authentic Italian guilty pleasure. Airing Thursdays at 10:30 p.m. CST, Russian Dolls features the lives of wealthy Russian-Americans. While all of them are originally from the former Soviet Union, they are now living in Brooklyn’s Brighton Beach neighborhood. The show of course only “accurate” depicts a small portion of the Brighton Beach neighborhood. Russian Dolls, however,offers viewers the trash television we love with a few mink coats and premium vodka thrown into the mix.

Meet the Model

This show would not be complete without an aspiring model (Anna, 22) living in her anything but lavish apartment. Fame is important to someone like Anna, and Russian Dolls is sure to provide her with at least 15 minutes.

Meet the Russian Charlotte

There’s always that one girl that wants a happily ever after. Well, make that all girls want that, but in this case Diana, a Russian version of Charlotte’s character in Sex in the City, has a goal to find her prince charming…as long as he comes with a car and loaded bank account.

Meet the Guidette

When I think Anastasia, I think princesses. When talking about Russian Dolls,however,when you think the name Anastasia you should be think of someone who lives the infamous GTL (gym, tan, laundry) lifestyle and later applies large amounts of makeup and maintains hair extensions.

Meet ????????

If Google Translate has done its job – and 99.5% of the time it does – then I just said “Meet the Situation” in half Russian. Like Mike “The Situation,” Sorrentino Eddie Zee likes fame, being overdramatic and taking advantage of the “smush” room. 

Meet the Momma’s Boy

With his mind on his money and his money on his mind, Albert cares about two things: making money and finding the perfect girl that he can bring home to Mommy.

Meet the Mom

At 47, Sveta doesn’t look a day over 30 thanks to modern-day miracle injections like Botox. She’s a hardheaded woman that owns a jewelry store with her husband Sasha.

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!