Travel Blog: UK Music Festival – Beach Break Live

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Imagine this: 20,000 students, 200 bands and DJs, and 8 miles of beach. Throw in tents, porta-potties, and some rain and you’ve got Beach Break Live music festival in Pembry Country Park, South Wales.

Lineup poster, courtesy of Beach Break Live. 

On my recent trip to the United Kingdom, I had the insane chance to attend Beach Break, and I had one of the best times of my life. There are a ton of music festivals in the UK, and it seems like everyone goes to one or more during the summer. Their mainstream fashion magazines even discuss “festival style”, so I’m grateful that I had a chance to go and experience this bit of British youth culture.

For three days, I slept in a tent, wore “wellies” every single day, and successfully didn’t shower all weekend! (It’s all about the dry shampoo ladies!)

One of three campsites at the park. It can get a little confusing finding your tent!

In the end though, it didn’t matter what you looked (or smelled) like. It was all about the music. We spent all day laying the sun listening to mellow acts and evenings fighting the crowds, jumping up and down to the likes of Tinie Tempah, Katy B, and White Lies.  After the main acts, it was all about the dance tent where DJs played dub-step and drum and bass well into the morning.

Students hanging out around the main stage during the day.

The main stage at night. (No way was I bringing my nice camera into the mosh pits, so this photo is courtesy of the Beach Break Live Facebook Page.)

I’ll leave you with a music video from one of my favorite artists I saw there, Ed Sheeran. I can’t wait for my next festival. Any suggestions?

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!