Travel Blog: Travel on a Budget – A hotel Alternative

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Does a trip to New York City with your girlfriends sound great, but you can’t afford that 2-star, Midtown Manhattan hotel with complementary bed bugs for $250 per night? One of my favorite new alternatives to sub-par hotel rooms is private vacation rentals. Sites like Airbnb and HomeAway are a great way to find apartments, houses, or spare rooms in almost any city around the world, usually at a great price!

Consider this room for three in NYC. It’s an amazing deal for the location.

Studio apartment, Midtown Manhattan, sleeps 3, $174/night
Photo courtesy Airbnb.com

Rentals can be great for big road trips with as well! Grab 10 of your closest friends and head to Surfside Beach, South Carolina for this house from Home and Away with its own private pool, beach entry, and spectacular views.

Beachfront vacation home, Surfside, South Carolina, sleeps 10, $300/night
Photo courtesy HomeandAway.com

Some of you might be thinking that staying in someone else’s home sounds a bit sketchy and of course, this type of lodging does not come without risk.As with anything in life, you have to remember to protect yourself. The following tips will help ensure your safety and satisfaction.

How To Rent Smartly:
Communicate with the renter. You will email back and forth several times when making a reservation, so make sure to ask as many questions as you can and find out what you can about the person renting to you. In the same way, give the renter information about yourself that establishes credibility as a guest.

Only work with renters who have complete profiles with several positive reviews. It’s not wise to be someone’s first renter; instead, find someone who is experienced with good feedback. 
Protect yourself against scammers: Always pay through the website and never wire money to someone you do not know personally. 

Research the area and property. Make sure to check the reputation of the neighborhood and building.
Be aware of any extra or hidden fees. You can usually expect to add a cleaning fee of $25-$50 for your stay.
Rent with friends. Some of you may be brave enough to rent a place on your own, but I am always more comfortable traveling with others to stay safe. 

If you do your research and rent smartly, personal rentals can be a great way to travel on a budget!

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!