Top Ten Blog: Top Ten Summer Jobs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Summer is finally on its way! It’s hard not to start celebrating early but then it hits us. What am I going to do this summer? It is never too early to start building that résumé, but internships can be tricky to nag. And there is the other factor to consider – cash. Unfortunately, internships usually come with the subtext as unpaid. So what are you going to do to gain some experience and replenishing your bank account? Let’s take a look.

Waitress: Waitressing can add to a resume because it is a type of job where people skills are required. You have to be alert, on your feet, and considerate of the customer’s experience. Pros and Cons: Tips. Some nights can be awesome, and some nights can be a bummer.

Lifeguard: Ah, the cliché summer job that we all secretly want. Getting paid to sit in a chair and work on your tan? Sounds good to me. However, the training that is required is a pretty heavy reminder of the responsibility on your hands.

Camp Counselor: Being a camp counselor comes up on a résumé as one word: leadership. Keeping track of kids while mixing education and fun is rewarding, but exhausting as well. This is a great summer job to consider, so look for camps focused on your interests. A lot of camps only go for a few weeks, so this means you have a chance for some much needed leisure time.

For Your Mom or Dad: As cheesy as it may be, if your mom or dad offers you a summer job, take it! You will be able to say you’ve worked at an established business or firm and it saves you the stress of job hunting. Also, your parents want what’s best for you. This translates into being assigned actual tasks rather than being stuck at a coffee maker all summer.

Local Clothing Store: This is another customer service job, but it is also a starting point for those considering making a career out of sales. And you’ve got to start somewhere, right?

Freelance: Take what you know and your talents and use it to your advantage! Spread the word that you are available this summer and itchin’ to tutor or give lessons in a particular field. Whether it is a musical instrument, Calculus, or swimming lessons, start giving your contact info out!

Don’t: Maybe you a taking a couple classes this summer, you have your annual family vacation planned, and you want to get in shape for a half marathon. If you have other concerns with academics or family, it is best not to overload yourself with work or distractions. Summer is about balance, whether you are balancing family and friends or work and pleasure. Make sure you do well in your classes, spend quality time with the fam, and have a little time to yourself.

Coach: In my mind, this is one of the best summer jobs you can ask for, and commitment to something you love looks great on applications. Call up your high school coach and see if they have a spot for you, or start with the basics: Little League, anyone?

Fruit Stand: Working at a farmer’s market or local produce stand can be a really cool experience. It is probably an area of work you know very little about, and it is a very community oriented job. Add in a paycheck, and that sounds like a sweet summer set up.

Bakery: This is, by far, the most dangerous summer job on the list. Dreamy? Yes. Tempting? Oh yes. We work so hard all year to keep of the cafeteria and 2 am food off, so it is important to think long and hard about the world of confectioner sugar you would be putting yourself into. In the end, the frosting might win.

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!