Top Ten Blog: Top Ten Stay at Home Spring Break Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Stuck at home for Spring Break?  Since most schools scatter their vacations, being at home might mean being alone.  Don’t panic, though.  There are plenty of things you can do at home to recharge your mind, body, and possibly show your stomach real food.  Could it mean adventure? Can you beat boredom? You better believe it.

1. Hiking: In the more enjoyable temperatures of early spring, or maybe the enjoyable temperatures of the strangest “winter” ever, it’s a pretty nifty idea to start Spring Break in the great outdoors.  Hiking is a great way to work up a sweat, get in a good iPod jam session, and snap some pics to upload to a customary “SB 2012” Facebook album.

2. Find a Drive-In: If this isn’t already on your bucket list, add it.  Maybe you get to spend break with your main squeeze–finding the nearest drive-in movie theater and stocking up on snacks would be an unbeatable date. 

3. Recreate Old Photos: Caution: being bored at home may lead to digging out photo albums.   an old picture of you in a crazy costume or caught in what was most likely the scheme of the century and recreate everything about it.  The final products will put you one step ahead when it comes time to think of Mother’s Day gifts.

4. Hit the Hometown Hotspots: Let’s face it, as much as college students miss their friends and family, they miss their favorite eatery just as much.  Whether it’s a local ice cream parlor, an Italian place with the best homemade pasta, or the greasiest, cheesiest Mexican food around (shout out to Taco Grill), go.  And then go again. 

5. Shop: If you can’t have the spring vacation, you can at least get a new spring wardrobe.  Fill your closet with dresses, shorts, and sandals that make you crave warm weather.

6. Skype Florida: This time when you talk to your friends, the beach in the background will be real.  Pick the place you want to be and Skype the pal that gets to be there.  Soaking up the rays of the computer screen is definitely not the same, but, hey, it’s better than nothing.

7. Spend the Day with the Fam:  It may not be too exciting, but you know your mom will love it if you, for once, agree to go to the grocery store with her.  You may be bummed you’re not in the tropics, so being around people who are thrilled to have you to themselves will do you some good.

8. Exercise Everyday: While your friends are off lounging in the sun, go for a run.  If you stay active, you will feel great, and you won’t have to worry about putting your bikini bod in jeopardy.  Even though it’s under layers for now, you’ll know it’s there!

9. Read: Since the weather at home will probably be less than perfect, grab that book you’ve been meaning to read when it rains, snows, or hits the low temps.

10. Paint Your Room:  This is a project that will last days and provide a burst of color to chase away the winter blahs.  Blast your favorite tunes and get your friends who are home to help.  I guarantee your brain will enjoy the break from your Ancient Civilizations textbook.

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!