Top Ten Blog: Top Ten Pinterest Boards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

With Facebook and Twitter already established as the King and Queen of social networking, Pinterest has started trailblazing a new path of Internet activity.  Pinterest allows users to “pin” pictures of anything they please and share it with the world.  For most college students, these websites are majorly distracting, but oh how we love them.  Pinterest changes up self-expression by adding a new ingredient: organization.  By having the best boards, you will quickly become one of the most re-pinned pinners around.  Let the creativity begin.

1. Fashion: Tons of people use the Internet for on-line shopping purposes alone, so it makes sense to have a Pinterest board dedicated to what you wear and what you want to wear.  It saves your friends the extra trip to all those different websites.

2. Puppies: Puppies, or any type of baby animal for that matter, are repin gold mines.  If you, like me, absolutely love getting the email that says, “so-and-so repinned you,” stick with puppies.  They are so irresistible, it’s hard to not want to stare at them all day long, proof of Pinterest being a worthy distraction.

3. Food:  Having a pin board dedicated to food is like creating an online cookbook.  Any time your idea starved and just plain starved, check Pinterest for the recipes and dishes you posted.  You most likely pin the food you want to eat or can easily attempt, so there will be plenty of options for your next meal.

4. Obsession:  Whatever you love most, make a board of it.  When your friends see a stream of Harry Potter pins, they will immediately know it’s you; when other Harry Potter fans see your pins, guess where they will be repinned? Right on to their Harry Potter board.  Pinterest is the place to let your healthy obsession shine.

5. Travel:  Following the Pinterest trends, it is customary to have a Travel board.  Why wouldn’t you want one?  It is a great category to post places you’ve been and places you want to go.  What a way to preserve those glorious Spring Break memories!

6. Culture:  You share photos, thoughts, and friends on the Internet, so why not culture.  When you come across the flag of your nationality, pin it!  When you come across references to your heritage, pin it! When you find an image of traditions you’ve grown up with, pin it!

7. Miscellaneous: Sometimes, things just can’t be contained to one category.  When that happens, have no fear.  Everyone needs a random pin board with a miss-matched collection of people, places, and things.  These turn out to be some of the most entertaining boards of all. 

8. Celebs: You know those studly black and white photos of Ryan Gosling you secretly set as your background?  They have a place! Now, there is no shame in collecting pictures of your favorite Hollywood hotties.  Believe me, you definitely are not alone – I guarantee repins in this category.

9. Humor: Everyone loves a good laugh, so here is your chance to gather a whole bunch of puns and jokes to have handy.  You’ll be surprised, once you have this trusty pin board, at how often you run into things online that make you laugh.  Sharing your sense of humor is one of the most worthy contributions of social networking.

10. Art: You don’t have to be an art history major to find a painting beautiful.  In this day and age, there are so many different types of art that deserve to be acknowledged.  Pin your own art, your friend’s art, or some really cool digital image you stumbled upon.  Artist and audience alike will appreciate it. 

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!