Life > Academics

Tips And Reminders For Staying Calm And Present During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As finals week approaches, it is exceptionally easy to fall into a state of pure stress. The number of tests, projects and assignments increases, and it can be difficult to keep a clear mind. This is my first finals week as a college student and even though finals week has yet to begin, I have already started to fall victim to the stress. Here are some tips I have been working on and reminders to try and stay calm and present during finals.

trying your best is good enough

Often, I feel like I’m giving it my all but still don’t get the grade I was hoping for. This scenario can feel draining and it is easy to feel defeated. Something I had to learn over time was that as long as I’m trying my best, I am doing enough, even if that effort does not always translate into an A.

Your grades do not determine your self-worth

On top of effort sometimes not translating to grades, I used to fall into the habit of equating my grades to my self-worth, and still do sometimes. However, an important reminder is that your grades do not determine your self-worth. This is one that I find important to repeat often and keep as a constant reminder because it doesn’t only apply to finals week, it applies always. You are more than your grades.

Study, but give yourself breaks

I remember studying for a math final in my senior year of high school and just continuing for hours straight because I thought that if I stopped, I wouldn’t be able to bring myself to start again. While that is a valid approach to studying, when I allowed myself to take breaks, I found that I was much more productive. I propose giving yourself a five minute break every half an hour. Stand up, walk around, stretch, get a snack, drink some water and then start again. It is important to give your eyes and mind a break, especially when doing work on a computer screen. 

Give yourself breaks in general

Breaks during studying are important but so are breaks in general. It is easy to get wrapped up in studying and allow the stress to take over. I had a teacher once recommend getting work done in the mornings and then doing something fun in the afternoon/evenings. Balance is key, especially during finals. Don’t work yourself too hard.

All of these tips stand true year round, not only during finals. These tips are also from my own personal experience. Everyone has their own study habits and tips that work best for them, so find what’s best for you. This finals week, try to remember that you’re good enough. Remember that your grades do not determine your self-worth and remember to give yourself the breaks you need.

Ania Sacks

Illinois '26

Hi! I'm Ania Sacks and I'm a freshman at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign studying English.