Style > Beauty

The Ultimate Guide To Getting Salon-Like Hair At Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Have you ever gone to a salon to get your hair done and thought, “Man, why can’t I get my hair to look like this at home?” Trust me, it’s pretty much a universal experience.

This is precisely why I went searching. It drove me crazy that I couldn’t get that styled look at home! After doing a lot of research and a lot of practice, I’ve gotten pretty good at mastering a salon-adjacent blowout hairstyle in the comfort of my own home. Here is my guide on getting a beautiful bouncy blowout by yourself. 

Design by Addie Abujade for Her Campus
Design by Addie Abujade for Her Campus

To start off, you want to make sure you’re working with clean, freshly washed hair in order to get the best results and to give the best shot for your blowout to last as long as possible. Working with a fresh wash ensures that your hair is thoroughly damp all throughout. It also helps preserve your blowout, by getting rid of any natural oils, excess product, and grime from your scalp that can tend to flatten your hair. Remember, blowouts are all about volume. 

After a clean wash, I recommend raking any products in through your hair. I recommend the JVN Complete Blowout Styling Milk and the Olaplex No. 7. These two products are my favorite. The JVN Complete Blowout Styling Milk works wonders to give your hair a silky finish, and Olaplex No. 7 is tried and true for protecting my hair from heat and tension damage. 

Once your products are all raked through, WAIT. When you do a blowout on hair that is too wet, not only does it take forever, but it also subjects your hair to way too much unnecessary heat damage. I found that waiting for my hair to get around 80% dry gives me the best results with less damage. 

When your hair is 80% dry, it is time to spray your hair with a heat protectant of your choice. Personally, I use the Hot Toddy heat protectant by DryBar, but you can use whichever is your favorite! 

blow dryer
Walmart

Finally, you can go ahead with your styling tools! For a quick result, the Revlon Blow Dry Brush is tried and true. It gives you a blowout look with half of the effort. But, if you have the time I really recommend going in with a trusty blow dryer and a round brush. I find it gives a super airy, bouncy look that no other shortcuts can replicate.

Section your hair into small sections starting with the front. Use the brush to pull your hair up, and twist it around the ends away from your face while applying even heat with the blow dryer while you’re brushing. Once the section is almost fully dry, wrap the entire section around the brush, wrapping it away from the face. Once it is all wrapped, apply even heat with your blow dryer on the section and carefully unwrap the piece, making sure to avoid it from getting tangled. Wrapping your hair fully around the brush at the end will give your hair a big volume throughout. Lastly, repeat this until all of your hair is dry. 

And there you have it! These are all of my tricks on how to give yourself a beautiful salon-like blowout at home. 

Haley Kharvari

Illinois '27

Hi! My name is Haley Kharvari and I'm a freshman at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I'm majoring in economics and legal studies, on the pre-law track. My hometown is Schaumburg, Illinois, a Chicago suburb. In my free time love to rock climb, thrift, bake, and more!