Style > Fashion

The Past Meets The Future: How Modern Fashion Is Influenced By Looks Of The Past

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

How often have you gone to put your hair up and reached for a claw clip instead of a hair tie in the past two weeks? And, before that, what about scrunchies? Style is constantly changing but one thing is for sure – history repeats itself.

Blast from the past: what’s making a comeback?

With the resurgence of baggy mom jeans and butterfly clips, the 90s are back in a big way (although the eyebrows, thankfully, stayed put). Cyclical fashion, as described in fashionmingle.com, comes in three stages: Innovation, where the style of clothing is introduced onto the market and becomes popular, Culmination, where the general population finds the style fashionable and it becomes affordable for mass purchase, and the Decline stage, where the style falls out of fashion and becomes (sometimes temporarily) obsolete.

So, who decides what is “in” or “out?” That depends on the current fashion icons, which can be derived from pop culture or often celebrity style. The hit HBO Max series Euphoria, for example, brought a rise in graphic liner and bejeweled makeup, which can often be seen on young adults and teenagers today. Alexa Demie, who plays Maddy Perez, has been credited as one of TV’s fashion icons of today – because of her character’s style and how she wears it, she has influenced modern style to incorporate cut-out pants and high crop tops.

alexa demie as maddy and sydney sweeney as cassie in euphoria
Photograph by Eddy Chen/HBO

Zendaya, another Euphoria star, is also a fashion icon, working with renowned stylist Law Roach for her stellar looks both on the red carpet and off. While primarily being known for her acting skills (Zendaya began on Disney Channel and broke into A-list stardom with hits like Malcolm and Marie, Dune and the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Spiderman trilogy), she models for luxury brands frequently. As for her influence, there is no denying that her fashion sense has quickly bled into the market, with lots of girls attempting to emulate her lengthy silhouette. According to the actress herself, “Fashion is very much emotional. When you see it, or when you wear the right clothing, or you wear whatever, it’s supposed to make you feel something. You’re supposed to feel some type of emotion, and I feel like I try to do that when I’m on a red carpet. That’s what fashion is supposed to do to you, it’s supposed to make you happy, make you excited, make you feel good.” One thing is for certain – there’s nothing quite like wearing an outfit you feel amazing in.

So What comes next?

What follows the platform converse and the “clean girl” aesthetic? No one knows, except for the next fashion icon that’s waiting to break out a new trend with style and confidence. But honestly, there’s no wrong way to be stylish – the best kind of style is when you love what you wear and how you wear it.

corporate cute?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
20th Century Studios
Grace McCormick

Illinois '23

Grace McCormick is a senior at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign studying Organizational and Community Leadership.