This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

With the fast-approaching cold weather, it’s time for us to bring out the warm coats! Now, if you’re anything like me, then you despise having to throw on a bulky and thick jacket on top of a very cute, pre-planned outfit. But this week I’m here to provide three styling tips that make wearing coats fun and even add to a fit instead of taking away.

1. The Basics

princess polly leather jacket
Photo via Princess Polly

A sherpa wrap, a leather jacket and a trenchcoat are what I call the holy trinity of fall coats. Between these three coats, you won’t ever have to worry about your cute fit being hidden and you’ll be more than warm. Sherpa jackets are honestly adorable and surprisingly go with just about everything. I find myself reaching for them most when I wear a sweater or loungewear. Sherpas are also a great time to play around with color although I find the most universal ones are neutral tones such as brown, tan, creme and gray. Everyone needs a leather jacket first off, no matter what season it is. But, a leather jacket in the fall is supreme. The main tip here is to find a leather jacket with a warm lining on the inside. This will ensure you stay all nice and cozy while looking fabulously chic. Now a trench coat in the autumn season kinda speaks for itself. But I’ll say it again for those in the back, a trench coat is a really easy way to play up all fits. I’ve found some of my favorite ways to wear a trench are with a turtleneck and bulky cable knit sweaters. I would argue it’s the most universal of all the jackets! Mysterious, chic girl mode is now unlocked! All you need to add is a cup of coffee to the aesthetic.

2. Material

Material is something to always pay attention to when picking clothing items in your wardrobe, especially when the weather starts to get cooler. The best materials for coats are cashmere, fur (synthetic or real), corduroy, flannel and fleece. It is also important to note that the material of a coat you choose to wear should pair relatively well with whatever you’re wearing underneath. If you’re wearing a heavy knit sweater, wearing a fur coat on top would likely not be the smartest option if you don’t want to overheat. Instead, opt for a light material such as a fleece.

3. Have Fun!

nasty gal double breasted trench coat
Photo via Nasty Gal

Coats are such a great way to play up a fit and really add character, so don’t be afraid to utilize it. Don’t get me wrong, they can also really make a fit go from a 10 to a 7 and that usually depends on the material in relation to the attire underneath, the color coordinations and overall appropriateness with the weather outside.

With whatever coat you use this autumn season, make sure to do it with confidence. Once you embrace your confidence, anything added to it is just for the aesthetic! That’s it for this week, but remember to stay uniquely you!

Mierra Freeman

Illinois '26

Hiya! My name is Mierra Freeman, and I am currently a sophomore studying sociology, while on the Pre-Law track. Although I want to pursue Criminal law as my career path, I have always had a passion and special place in my heart for all things beauty, self care, skincare, positivity, and fashion! I hope that together we are able to embark on this wonderful journey in the world of beauty and positivity. Never forget to stay uniquely you!!💗