Life > Experiences

Starting Ballet As An Adult: Where To Start And Overcoming Fears

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Ballet has been dominating social media for the past few months, primarily with the rise of “ballet-core” on TikTok and many influencers showing themselves taking a ballet class for the first time. But if you’re an adult, is it too late to start learning ballet? Absolutely not!

It’s easy to think of ballet as something you either start as a toddler, or not at all — that is how most people start their journeys as dancers, whether professionally or recreationally, but it does not mean that being young is a requirement for beginner ballet classes. 

When it comes to getting started as a dancer — whether it’s because of social media inspiration or because you always wanted to be a ballerina growing up — there can be a lot of concerns, and while you’re sure to not be alone in experiencing them, it should not hold you back from pursuing ballet, or any other dance form.

Where do you start?

The easiest place to start to get a feel for ballet is the internet. YouTube creators like Ballet Misfit — who started dancing as a teenager — and Kathryn Morgan create videos tailored to adults who are interested in learning ballet for the first time. By beginning your journey online like this, it can help you and your body to become more accustomed to what dancing feels like, without the added pressure of feeling like people are watching you.

There are also many in-person classes for adults who are starting ballet for the first time! No matter where you live, there will be options that are suited to you. If you live in a big city, there will of course be a wide range of teachers, classes and programs available for you to choose from, but even if you live in a smaller city or town, it is common for local park districts and small ballet studios to offer classes for beginning adults.

How do you overcome the fear of starting as an adult?

First of all, absolutely nobody in a class for beginning adults will be judging you or your skill level. In fact, every other person in the room will be so wrapped up in their own ability and how you might be perceiving them, that they won’t even notice any mistakes you may or may not make!

There is also the common fear that you won’t be good at ballet, and there is a good chance that you won’t be! At least, not after your very first class and experience with it. But again, nobody is judging you in these spaces. Avoid comparing yourself to dancers that you see on professional stages or social media — they have almost undoubtedly received years and years of training to dance that way, and nobody would expect you to emulate their movements as a beginner.

Ballet should be a fun experience for you, and its combination of the arts and physical activity can feel incredibly therapeutic. Starting ballet after the age of four can feel stressful, but it shouldn’t be, and no one should feel excluded from the art form because of their age and skill level.

Ava Delariman

Illinois '25

I'm a sophomore at the University of Illinois majoring in Creative Writing, and I love all things fashion, pop culture, and wellness :)