Spring Break Destinations – A Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Spring break is over and everyone who was lucky enough to vacay somewhere near a beach has returned to Champaign ready to finish up the year with a slightly better tan. Miss out on a Spring break trip this year? A few bronzed collegiettes gave us details on their trips so that you can figure out where you want to go next year!

Destination: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Who: Krista Paplacyk, Sophomore

Why PV: “A lot of the girls in my pledge class wanted to go to Puerto Vallarta since we heard so many amazing things about it from older girls in our sorority house who had gone to Mexico for spring break their sophomore year.”

DAYTIME: “We spent a lot of our time near the pool, but the beach was beautiful. We did have some fun jumping into the ocean’s waves. A few of us bought bracelets from the beach venders too. A couple of my friends even went parasailing and jet-skiing!”

NIGHTLIFE: “In one word: UNREAL. The clubs were definitely not like anything you would find in Champaign. Every club we went to was Red Lion times 100.”

ENTERTAINMENT: “We were lucky enough to be in PV during Electro Beach, meaning we had tickets to see Aoki, Hardwell, Nervo, Porter Robinson, and of course, Milk and Cookies.”

WEATHER: “It was gorgeous. It didn’t rain once. During the day it was about 80-85 degrees  and at night it was never below 65. It was the most beautiful place I’ve ever been to.”

LIVING QUARTERS: “I had 3 others staying in my room with me. The room was very spacious. We had 2 king size beds, 2 couches, a walk in closet, and a massive bathroom.”

REPEAT 2013? “I think I’m going to spend next spring break with my family in Marco Island, but I’ll be ready for a repeat senior year!!”

U OF I PRIDE: “We were with U of I students at all times! My pledge class was the only group of sophomores, but I’d say there was about 200 Illini there.”

FAVORITE MEMORY: “If I had to pick one I’d go with being one of the last 20 people in the club every night dancing like animals with 19 of my best friends, but the whole experience was truly unbelievable. It was by far the best week of my life.”

Destination: South Padre, Texas

Stephanie Cyrus, Sophomore

WHY SOUTH PADRE? “Me and my friends chose South Padre over other spring break destinations because we knew a lot of people going, we knew it was safe, we thought there’d be good weather and it was also not very expensive.”

DAYTIME: “The days on the beach were crazy and so fun. Everyone would go out around 1 in the afternoon and just hang out enjoying the weather. We’d completely lose track of time.”

NIGHTLIFE: “The bars all had parts that were outdoors and they had multiple levels and were jam-packed every night.”

LIVING QUARTERS: “I stayed in a 3 bedroom condo with 10 other girls.”

TRAVELING: We took a plane down there. We had a layover and it was a pretty long day of traveling but definitely better than driving would’ve been. “My friend Kelly sat next to Pauly D on the plane ride home and another friend sat next to Skrillex on the way there.”

WEATHER: “Honestly, the weather seemed better in Chicago than it was in South Padre the first couple of days. It was rainy and cold at first but by the end of the trip the weather couldn’t have been better.”

FAVORITE MEMORY: “Spending every minute with all my friends. We were together the whole time and were all so excited to have a carefree week to do whatever we wanted.”

Destination: Panama City Beach, Florida

Samantha Oberholzter

WEATHER: “The days were beautiful it was 80 degrees or warmer every day. I was sun burnt everyday.”

NIGHTLIFE: “The night life was wild. There were foam parties and paint parties.”

CELEBRITY SITINGS: “Johnny Dunbar and CT from Road Rules and Real World were there. They were giving out free stuff to the crowd during the huge beach party.”

TRAVELING: “I drove the 14 hours to Florida and the 14 hours back. It was hell. Next year I am flying for sure.

ILLINI PRIDE:“ There were barely any U of I students at PCB, but I did meet some there and have never met them here in Champaign, so they were like new people to me again. It was great!”

OTHER SCHOOLS: “The people I met from other schools went to met Ohio, Arkansas and Minnesota. They were so much fun and amazing. It is sad that I won’t see them really again until next spring break!”

FAVORITE MEMORY: “Going to the penthouse with people from Arkansas in a really nice expensive hotel near my hotel. It was crazy. I felt on top of the world. It was crazy and an experience that I would never trade the world for!” 

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!