Social Media 101: How to Help Your Job Hunt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Foursquare, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube, who would have thought some of the most important words to know during your college career can’t even be found in the dictionary?                  

Social media is not just for creeping and status-updating anymore. The ever-growing social media network is making it possible for college students to be their own best publicist. Creating a personal brand by using sites like LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook might just put you ahead in your job or internship search.

If ‘mayorship’, ‘retweet’ and ‘hashtag’ are not yet in your vocabulary, it’s time to get started exploring social media sites. The best way to use these sites effectively is simply by exploring – but to get you started, here are some things you can do with those 140 characters.

Twitter 101
Twitter can be used to build a network with people in your field of interest. There are a number of different sites, like listorious.com, that categorize Twitter users into different subjects. Once you find people to follow, make sure you communicate with them by answering questions or retweeting. If all goes well they will follow you back, at which point, start posting links that you find interesting and tweet questions to generate responses and traffic.

Okay, so you have a solid network of Tweeters – now get Tweeting. Create a hashtag, post links to other websites you are involved with, or simply brag a little about something cool you did recently. Also, make sure to follow our Twitter page, @HCIllinois, for updates on our site and contests!

No need to wait for an internship to slap on your resume – get your name on the web by creating a blog.

Whether you’re interested in business, science, communications or engineering – blogs are a great way to show employers that you are current on trends and are establishing expertise in your field. Include pictures, videos and links to your blog posts – the possibilities are endless.

Once you have a pretty good start on your blog, make sure people are reading it. Post links to each blog post on your Twitter and Facebook accounts, and start interacting with other bloggers that might promote you on their site. Then, slap the link to your blog on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and your resume and viola, you’re one step closer to becoming the next Arianna Huffington.

FourSquare – creepy or useful?

Foursquare is an application that lets you “check-in” to places you go. “Checking-in” allows you to leave tips or recommendations for others visiting that location on Foursquare. If you happen to be the person who “checks-in” to one location, the most within a 60-day period, you are deemed “mayor” of that location. But beware – there have been instances of full-on “mayoral” battles.

So is this just an annoying way of letting people know where you happen to be at all hours of the day, or can it be used for more? Foursquare can, in fact, be very helpful in the business world. It can be used to promote a certain business by offering coupons to the “mayor” of that business, or simply by accumulating positive recommendations to a business. Employers might like to see that you are able to utilize this as a source in the business world. Also, if you are researching a topic – say caffeine consumption, for example – chances are the “mayor” of Espresso Royale might be someone to talk to – that is if they’re not too jittery. But wait, theres more!

So what about those other social media websites? LinkedIn is another site to get involved with. It allows you to build a professional network and contact potential employers. Make sure to keep your resume, positions and other areas updated for people who view your profile. Build a network by requesting connections and participating in LinkedIn groups. You can also use video or photo sharing sites like Flickr and YouTube for a more visually stimulating approach.

The bottom line is: social media is everywhere, and employers love to see that you know how to use it. So go ahead — tweet, check-in and connect all you want.

General social media rules to follow:

• Be careful of what you post. Employers can be ‘creepers’ too – don’t post anything you wouldn’t want your grandma to see.
  • Avoid tweets or blog posts that are negative. We don’t want employers to think we have a bad attitude.
  • Be loyal to your followers. If you promote them, they will be more likely to promote you back.
  • Always reply to people who reach out to you.