This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

There are certain things in life that are more unbearable than others, and being stuck with an incompatible roommate is one of them. It is not always the end of the world, but trying to live your daily life in an uncomfortable environment can really compound and become a dreadful situation. Luckily, these circumstances don’t last forever, as you will move out and move on. However, for the time being, you are likely going to need some resolution strategies to overcome your living arrangement.

Read this if your issue has to do with cleanliness (or lack thereof) and organization (or lack thereof):

Setting boundaries and outlining expectations before you move in together is key to establishing a decent working relationship. This will make you both (or all) more comfortable with the living situation as you will know what to expect. However, these things don’t always get brought up in conversation beforehand and tend to manifest in poor ways later down the road. If you find yourself struggling with the cleanliness and organization of your roommate(s), proceed with a conversation. This may be the last thing you want to do, but if you don’t, who will do it for you? During this conversation, everyone can air out their complaints (respectfully, of course) and establish a plan. What I would suggest is to create a “cleaning schedule,” so everyone does their fair share of work. This can include doing the dishes, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning the bathroom and keeping personal items in personal spaces. Alternate who does what on a weekly basis. The “norm” is to have common areas orderly, and then keep your own space/room as you personally like it, thus creating a compromise.

Read this if your issue has to do with miscommunications, arguments, roommate tensions and more:

Honestly, this situation is arguably worse than the previous one. Experiencing tension any time you come into your shared space is the worst interruption to the day. My biggest piece of advice is to never let it get too far, where issues become multiplied and you all end up mute towards each other. When something arises or feels “off,” it is best to get that situation handled with a genuine conversation. I find that sometimes words flow more easily when you’re moving, so perhaps taking a walk and talking it out might be of benefit. When speaking to one another, try not to play the blame game, but don’t be too shy about saying what needs to be said. Boundaries are important to establish, and it would be useless if the issue only got half-solved because you were afraid of speaking your truth. Words have a lot of power behind them, so use them wisely.

I hope you and your roommates find a common ground, so that you can live peacefully!

Hi everyone, my name is Solomiya and I am a junior majoring in Kinesiology at UIUC. Though I study within a STEM related field, I have always loved the arts- especially writing. I am so excited to be on this team and rekindle that writer's spark!